5 Games, Pay What You Want, DRM Free

HardOCP News

[H] News
You can get five classic indie games, all DRM free and pay only what you want. The games work on Windows, PC and Macs and a portion of the proceeds go to the EFF and Child's Play charity. The best part is, you decide how much goes to each one. Watch the video.

Thats pretty awesome but the games aren't really my cup of tea. Might buy them for somebody else anyways though, as a gift. I love how you get to decide how much goes where.

These games are crap. You bundle five crap games together and what do you think someone would pay?

I'm tired of these "indie" games that can run on a SNES.

I wouldn't waste my bandwidth on those for $0.

These games are crap. You bundle five crap games together and what do you think someone would pay?

Now I wouldn't go that far... If these games were available on say, android, you'd be showering them with praise. These are casual, simple games, made by small time developers. If you REALLY don't like them, put all your donations to Child's Play and gift the games to someone who might like them.

The crayon physics game is pretty decent, VVVVV (i think) is a "i wanna be that guy" type platformer, the others I'm not familiar with.

I especially like how the founder of Minecraft is on the top of the donators list. At least I think it is him.

Can you at least just name the games in the original post so that one doesn't have to click through a few times and watch some video. Quality of front page news threads is going down the crapper here. :(

Uh have you even played any of these games? Some of them are actually really good. Unless all you care about is the "SNES" graphics.

If they really wanted to sell a classic game pack, how about selling such things as Commander Keen, Rick Dangerous, Arkanoid, Silent Service, Broderbund's Stunts, 4D Boxing, One Must Fall 2097, Sid Meier's Civilization, Scorched Earth, Ports of Call, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Prince of Persia, Another World, Kings Quest, Police Quest, Hero Quest (Quest for Glory) Space Quest, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, The Secret of Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion.....

Need I say more?

Thinking of getting it just for Crayon Physics just because I have a touch screen netbook that converts to a tablet.

Uh have you even played any of these games? Some of them are actually really good. Unless all you care about is the "SNES" graphics.

No. Also I think "old indie classics" is an oxymoron.

Just advertise that you're receiving donations for children's charity. There is no need to bundle together a bunch of worthless garbage to make you feel like you downloaded something of value.

wow I see alot of people took their im a huge prick pill today. Crayon physics is a good game and VVVV is pretty decent too. I have never played the other three but those two alone are worth at least paying $5 for. seriously they let you set your own price and decide where it all go's you can give a dollar and get at least two decent games and give all of that dollar to charity. It's a pretty good deal and you get to do somthing good not sure why people have to be such cynical dbags about it.

they eventually gave out steam codes for the last two bundles, btw

wow I see alot of people took their im a huge prick pill today. Crayon physics is a good game and VVVV is pretty decent too. I have never played the other three but those two alone are worth at least paying $5 for. seriously they let you set your own price and decide where it all go's you can give a dollar and get at least two decent games and give all of that dollar to charity. It's a pretty good deal and you get to do somthing good not sure why people have to be such cynical dbags about it.

by all means feel free to buy your bundle

Crayon physics is fun, not sure about the others. It's for charity so I'll shoot them $10.

Total payments:$550,665.68
Purchases #:115,317
Average purchase:$4.78
Average Windows:$3.84
Average Mac:$6.37
Average Linux:$11.03

Interesting. Not sure what to make of this breakdown, but not sure if I would have expected it.

Interesting. Not sure what to make of this breakdown, but not sure if I would have expected it.

The breakdown is always quite similiar for these. Linux users always pitching in the most, followed by mac and then PC being the lowest.

Zarathustra[H];1037560166 said:
If they really wanted to sell a classic game pack, how about selling such things as Commander Keen, Rick Dangerous, Arkanoid, Silent Service, Broderbund's Stunts, 4D Boxing, One Must Fall 2097, Sid Meier's Civilization, Scorched Earth, Ports of Call, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Prince of Persia, Another World, Kings Quest, Police Quest, Hero Quest (Quest for Glory) Space Quest, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, The Secret of Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion.....

Need I say more?

Yes.

Spy Vs. Spy 1-3, Ultima 1-7, Wizardry 1-8, Boulder Dash, Leisure Suit Larry 1-7, the SSI Gold Box AD&D Forgotten Realms Dragonlance and Buck Rogers titles, Bruce Lee, Bard's Tale 1-3, Alternate Reality: The City, Alter Ego (the most unusual Activision game ever), Archon 1-3 (yes, I include the notorious 3 for laughs), Ghetto Blaster, Break Dance, Break Street, Break Fever, Beach Head 1-2, Lode Runner, Nuclear War, Adventure Construction Set, Mail Order Monsters, Racing Destruction Set (those last 3 games are from the time when EA was just a small garage outfit), Super Huey, Yie Ar Kung Fu, Zaxxon, and Zork 1-3.

Among many, many others.

Yes.

Spy Vs. Spy 1-3, Ultima 1-7, Wizardry 1-8, Boulder Dash, Leisure Suit Larry 1-7, the SSI Gold Box AD&D Forgotten Realms Dragonlance and Buck Rogers titles, Bruce Lee, Bard's Tale 1-3, Alternate Reality: The City, Alter Ego (the most unusual Activision game ever), Archon 1-3 (yes, I include the notorious 3 for laughs), Ghetto Blaster, Break Dance, Break Street, Break Fever, Beach Head 1-2, Lode Runner, Nuclear War, Adventure Construction Set, Mail Order Monsters, Racing Destruction Set (those last 3 games are from the time when EA was just a small garage outfit), Super Huey, Yie Ar Kung Fu, Zaxxon, and Zork 1-3.

Among many, many others.

I just remembered Sim City!

2378-SimCity.jpg

And Railroad Tycoon!

It makes sense. Windows has by far the most freeloaders so even though they generally have a larger number of donations, it's not uncommon for them to have barely over 50% of the amount donated.

Mac users tend to be a bit more affluent and they have fewer games to play which makes them value it more.

Linux users have multiple reasons to be in favor of donating.

First off pretty much every one of the bundles has resulted in new games being ported over. In addition to this, in several instances developed have open sourced either the game code or their entire engine (although reasonably enough, not the art assets). It certainly factors into why I've been willing to pay more.

na it is just windows users have the most games to choose from so don't need really crappy games, mac users have wow and few other games so these are cool games to them, and linux users don't have any games at all so they are willing to pay the most... lol

Zarathustra[H];1037560166 said:

Need I say more?

Did you miss one third of the title? "Humble Indie Bundle". The "classic" part seems to be HardOCP's addition, though these five are pretty well known in the indie game world.

Never really seen people nitpick over a name-your-price deal. The whole point of these bundles is to give some exposure to small devs while contributing to charity. Not to mention the fact that they're all cross-platform and DRM-free. But, if the games aren't your cup o' tea, no biggy.

na it is just windows users have the most games to choose from so don't need really crappy games, mac users have wow and few other games so these are cool games to them, and linux users don't have any games at all so they are willing to pay the most... lol

Given that Windows users were paying around $4 on average when the bundles included things like World of Goo, Braid, Penumbra, and Trine (all of which were rather well received) I'm just going to go ahead and remain with my original assessment which is that there are a lot more freeloaders on it.

the conclusion i come to is that windows users are a bunch of tightasses

Back