Limp Gawd
Hi I just installed 12gb ddr3 but windows tells me I only have 8gb installed

cpuz can see the 12gigs tho

whats going on?

mobo asus rampage II
i7 950
ram
kingston hiperx 6gb ddr3-2000(3pcs) x2

I'm having the same issue with a gigabyte motherboard, not seeing all the memory that is installed... what a pain.

Im using w7 64

changing some settings in the bios ive managed to get the 12gb back

problem is that the memory is fixed at a rate of 1000mhz

how do it get it to 2000mhz

I had the same thing happen on my P6X58D. Updated bios - no change. If that doesn't work that means your mobo is running @ 3 + 1 for your 8 gigs.

Mine ended up being a bad stick of ram in one of my triple-channel sets.

I hope your update works.

i fixed it

looks like there has to be specific dram voltages to be set, these voltages are based on the bclk and vcore settings.

looking at 12gb at 2005mhz! right on

all Im missing is the damned 5970 , when I will be able to see these on the store ?? grrrr

You simply fixed this issue with voltage settings? Did you manually set every setting, or just the main DRAM voltage? I'm asking because I'm having a similar issue with 12GB on a Gigabyte board. I have 12GB most of the time, but it seems like a crapshoot after a power cycle. Here is my post from another thread:

I have also been having this same problem on my new X58 build. I have all 6 slots filled with 2GB DIMMs. What I've found is that the motherboard isn't detecting the SPD information for Channel A (and much less frequenty Channel B). When this happens the memory is detected but is listed under Win7 as "Hardware Reserved". Also I can tell this is going to happen on boot because the amount of memory listed on POST is either 8GB or 4GB. If I then go into the BIOS setup the "auto" settings for the undetected bank are listed as "-". Not sure what the hell is going on, but it's annoying for sure. It seems there are a lot of people having similar problems.

This is what Windows Resource Manager will show when a bank is undetected:
Resource_Manager_Win7_Memory.jpg

the issue is related with both your bclk and dram voltage

EDIT: also want to say that XMP settings for RAM are teh shit , dont use those

Across various forums, folks reporting sometimes that they detect less memory available in windows, bios, memtest86+/DOS, that physically installed. For example, installed 6GB or 12GB and only detecting 4GB or 8-10GB respectively.

I thought I'd outline some possible reasons for detecting less memory than installed:

1. incorrect cpu vtt (uncore) voltage set - what Asus terms as QPI/DRAM voltage. Vdimm is DRAM Bus Voltage in bios.
2. incorrect QPI/DRAM to VDIMM relationship - every cpu/mem pairing will have an optimal voltage differential between QPI/DRAM to VDIMM voltage usually between 0.01 to 0.5v difference. Fall out of the optimal differential voltage for cpu/mem pairing will = less memory detected and/or lower memory bandwidth reported compared to when optimal voltage differential is in place. You also want to read Intel Core i7 920 Overclocking Introduction Guide on X58 to observe some guidelines such as keeping Uncore memory frequency at 2x times that of DRAM memory frequency - so at 2:1 uncore to memory frequency ratio. If you set your uncore higher than 2x memory frequency you will need way more QPI/DRAM (uncore) and VDIMM memory voltage to get stable (see tests).

* Example, say you have 6x2GB @1333mhz working fine at 1.35v QPI/DRAM with 1.65v VDIMM. You try to overclock the memory to @1600mhz speeds, and you bump VDIMM from 1.65v to 1.75v and now only see 8-10GB detected. You've moved out of the optimal differential range for QPI/DRAM to VDIMM which @1333mhz was 1.65 - 1.35v = 0.3v. At 1.75v VDIMM you left QPI/DRAM at 1.35v so 0.4v differential voltage. Then you bump QPI/DRAM to 1.45v to keep 0.3v differential voltage and 12GB is detected again. Now this is just an example, it could be you need 1.85v VDIMM for your memory to be stable and if 0.3v is optimal differential voltage it means you need QPI/DRAM set at 1.55v
3. Setting some important voltage settings to AUTO instead of lowest manual available voltage option. See 2nd post here for suggestions.
4. faulty memory modules
5. faulty memory dimm slots
6. sort of combination of 4+5 above where memory modules like particular memory dimm slots - could come down to PCB differences for each module along with voltages for QPI/DRAM and VDIMM.
7. If you see full memory size in DOS/memtest but not within windows, then it could be due to 32bit/64bit memory addressing size being chewed up by video card and pci/pci-e devices as explained at [info] Windows maximum supported memory size and http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85).aspx. So if you have 6GB installed, but have 1GB video card on 32bit OS you may only see between 2.25-3GB of memory available in windows. On 64bit OS, you may only see 3.5-4.5GB memory available. If you add other PCI-E devices like sound cards, then that also further eats into available windows memory.
8. Update: Added another possible reason, too tight tension in mounting cpu cooler to motherboard. Improper contact of cpu pads with socket might also result in less memory detected. So especially for water cooling folks to try loosening the screws and tension a tad for cpu mount. You can try removing cpu from socket as well and reinstalling/remounting cpu cooler and see if that helps.
9. Update: Apparently short circuiting the motherboard can cause memory detection errors as well i.e. check cpu cooler's back plates and if they short any part of the backside of the motherboard. Example here.

Also don't count out needing to tweak, IOH, IOH/ICH PCI-E, ICH voltages as well as DRAM DATA/CTRL REF voltage tweaks for each memory Channel A/B/C

When testing full memory dimm slot populated configurations, it's also worth testing each memory module (label them with masking tape from #1 to #6) in each of the 6 dimm slots, jot down notes as to how each module performs in each of the 6 dimm slots, then pair them up with best matching of memory modules for dimm slots. Reason is triple channel kits while sold to you as matched, they are rarely really matched in terms of overclocking characteristics - you'll always have a module or two which either does better or worse than the average of the 3 modules. Now take that to 6 modules and you can see why sometimes it might not work that well.

My first Intel build. Why? Because I made a tasteless joke that my sponsor took seriously.

Intel i7 980X
GA-x58A-UD3R
OCZ Reaper 10666 DDR3 (6x2GB) (1.7v)
Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875w

Okay. From the notes I've read here, this is what's happening to me. Problem is; I haven't the foggiest on what to do, because I've never had a system that was too dumb to fix itself (AMD) or took more than two small changes in an easy to use bios to solve a problem (AMI Bios), or a manual that made sense (Biostar).

My memory runs at 1.7v, board's got it set to 1.5. System's stable as-is, but I want all 12GB of my memory. What would I have to change, to what (Award 3.1 [GA revision F5-latest for the board] to get all of my memory?

EDIT:// Let me clarify the actual symptoms. The bios counts up to 8345MB, and windows sees it all, but is only addressing 8192MB. That's why I think it's a voltage issue.

ummm arnt the core i7s memory controller rated for 1.5v/1.6? you can try upped the voltage to the limit 1.65v and see where that takes you

Raise what voltage, the vDimm or any other of the half-dozen voltage related objects?

Sorry if I seem terse, I just don't want to do anything wrong, you see.

Edit:// What I can remember from my most recent excursion into the land of Award. QPI/(Something was here)1.15v, DRAM 1.5v.

I had/have this problem. I think I fixed it by switching my dram voltage setting from auto to 1.5v, because my memory is 1.5v, but the auto setting was running it at 1.64xxx volts. Some of the settings in the bios said it WAS running at 1.5v on auto, but one setting listing said 1.64xxx volts, switched from auto to 1.5v and now all the dram voltage listings say 1.5v and I have all 12GBs. Still not sure if that was the problem, because some boots would give me 12GBs and others 10GBs, but I rebooted 5 or so times and it said 12GBs each time now, so I hope that's it.

A little update... My system would crash with memory set at 1.5v after a while, in fact it crashed at anything less than 1.6v, but at 1.6v it's stable and all 12GBs is recognized.

Last edited:
The memory is OCZ3RPR1333C92G. All the same. 1.7v running at 1.5. I never did like Award bioses, and this whole qpi/six different settings for voltages is confusing the fire out of me.

The memory is OCZ3RPR1333C92G. All the same. 1.7v running at 1.5. I never did like Award bioses, and this whole qpi/six different settings for voltages is confusing the fire out of me.

Ok, it's more than likely not related to the voltage settings. Also, as others noted, that is the WRONG RAM for that setup since the max RAM voltage for a Core i7 setup is 1.65V. Any higher and there's a possibility of CPU damage. So for now keep the voltage at or below 1.65V.

Now, check to see if there's a sort of "Memory Remap" setting in the BIOS. Also, read your mobo's manual.

I've read the manual. It's about as informative as toilet tissue. There is no memory mapping option, or I would have set it to unganged. I'm not running the memory at 1.7v, I'm running it at 1.5, which it seems to like just fine.

A few things I found after a three minute google search:
Click the Start orb, and type in msconfig.

Right click the msconfig app to run it as Administrator. That brings up the configuration utility.

Click the Boot tab, and then click the Advanced Options button.

In that window, there is a setting for Maximum Memory - Make sure the checkbox for it is clear (not checked), then reboot your computer.

Also does the BIOs recognize 12GB of RAM is installed?

EDIT: Also found the Gigabyte manual for that mobo very informative. You just have to understand how the Core i7's QPI, DRAM, Uncore, etc all work together. A google search or search through the forums will tell you that right away

MSConfig trick doesn't work and I don't think I made myself clear enough about my skill level with intel.

I have no idea what I'm doing
. I have had these parts a whole 24 hours, and had not planned to build an intel system until my Sponsor brought me the boxes.

And yes, I could do the research. I could if I had time. I need help, not nudges and pushes to do the work myself, because I'm an engineering student. I don't have loads of time to deal with all of this. I didn't request these parts specifically, I didn't know I'd have to put as much effort into getting this thing to work as I do my projects. I am so far in over my head, I'm almost ready to huck the whole thing into a quad shredder. I don't need any more stress.

I came here looking for some help, since this is an overclockers/hardware forum. So can you please help me?

Edit:// Did some stick swapping and came up with some interesting results. No matter what order or ammount they were in, if less than 4 sticks were installed, it wouldn't boot. And when four were present, in any slot configuration, only 4096MB was detected. put'em all back in, and it only saw 4096 again. I bumped the vDimm to 1.64, and it saw 8192MB. So, apparently something is amiss. Oh and I forgot to mention that it locked up during a memory test.

Last edited:
Raise voltage to 1.65 and loosen the timings manually, Im testing right now with DDR3 rated at 1.8v and to get it to post I have to give it voltage and loosen the timings

Anything above 1.64 is pink. I''m guessing that's a danger zone. The manual is useless for this. And loosen the timings, you mean increase them?

Anything above 1.64 is pink. I''m guessing that's a danger zone. The manual is useless for this. And loosen the timings, you mean increase them?

1.65 is what most compatible i7 ram kits run at, I've ran upto 1.7 before. yes by loosening I mean increacing the values something like say 10-10-10-30 might work just to see if it'll pick up all the ram in windows

Well, that didn't help. However I did notice something though. My first two slots (I'm guessing by the layout of the bios) didn't get timings from SPD. After setting it, it still didn't address it. All of the tools out there still see it, but it's not being addressed.

Ok, you never answered this question: DOES THE BIOS SEE/REPORT 12GB of RAM?

No, but windows sees it. It's counting higher than 8192 to check the memory, but not by far.

I think it's got to do with the layout of the memory. Well! I get paid in two weeks, so I can try some different memory.

Sucks that this is so arduous to get something to work right.

Sees 12, addresses 8. I think it's got something to do with this board and how it handles three dual channel kits. Yes yes, I know three dual channel kits does not make triple channel, nor am I to expect three dual channels on a triple channel board. I know a bit about what I'm doing, just not with intel. Never really ran into this kind of an issue before.

Just a FYI, this issue occurs with just about any X58 mobo, not just Gigabyte:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265341-30-windows
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=5191&mpage=1#6631
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...e&id=20091211221856968&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
http://i4memory.com/f54/asus-x58-6-...g-detecting-less-memory-than-installed-19200/

So what did you loosen the RAM timings too? Try, temporarily, manually setting the RAM timings to whatever is spec for those RAM and upping the RAM voltage to 1.7V.

I took them to 9-9-9-24, 1.7v, then I went to 9-10-10-30, and didn't touch the voltage. Is it golf-stick time?

Edit:// Good god. There's a plethora of overclocking information out there. I guess since I have a fall-back machine, it's reckless time. Hopefully, I'll be back.

Last edited:
Edit:// Did some stick swapping and came up with some interesting results. No matter what order or ammount they were in, if less than 4 sticks were installed, it wouldn't boot. And when four were present, in any slot configuration, only 4096MB was detected. put'em all back in, and it only saw 4096 again. I bumped the vDimm to 1.64, and it saw 8192MB. So, apparently something is amiss. Oh and I forgot to mention that it locked up during a memory test.

I've done that. It locked up. It's a voltage issue, because if I take the voltage lower than 1.64, it sees 4096, when it's 1.64 or higher, it sees 8192. I just don't know what half that junk is (QPI/VTT, IOH) so I ain't messing with it until I can get a "short-of-it" description.

Cant stand it any longer.

Those other voltages are not going to matter, your last post just about proved it. Of corse it is a voltage issue. Your memory wants 1.7 volts to ensure proper operation and you suffer a significant chance of severely reducing the life of your CPU if you set the memory voltage above 1.65 because of the on-board memory controller.

You bought the incorrect memory for your cpu. Nothing you can do other than run the memory voltage in the danger zone is going to help unless God decides you are a special person who deserves a one in ten million special break. I wish I was wrong.

These are just off the top of my head, I havent gone to the i series yet so I have not spent the indepth time researching yet.

QPI quck path interconnect. This is the link between the CPU and what used to be called the Northbridge and replaces the FSB. Since the memory controller has been removed from the NB and embedded into the cpu, the QPI mainly now carries data related to video to the video card and data to the HD, USB etc.

VTT this is a voltage level on a buss/link so QPI/VTT would be adjustments in the voltage levels on the QPI link. At a certain voltage level a signal is recognized as a logic 1 signal below that level is considered a logic 0. Changing Vtt makes minor adjustments to the "this is a valid logic 1" detection level. Trouble is if it is the QPI Vtt it has nothing to do with the memory.

IOH Input Output Hub, replaced the Northbridge and now just does the talking to the card slots on the motherboard and the I/O devices like HD, USB, etc. etc. Its voltage usually needs no adjustment and does not affect OCing or memory.

So I cant figure out what you want, your board is telling you by indicating "pink" when you get to 1.65 memory voltage (and Intel announced to the world that memory voltages over 1.65 for any length of time "is a bad thing") but yet you know your memory specificaions say the memory requires 1.7 volts and you can see how the memory load vs. voltage is working because as you increase memory voltage it overcomes the voltage drop due to the memory load and more sticks "come alive' .

So I dont know what else to tell you. You screwed up, get 1.65 rated memory or even better the new low voltage 1.5V stuff.

If you want too, its your stuff, you could set the memory voltage to 1.7 volts and see if all the memory comes up. It should not hurt anything for a few minutes. Its long term , hours and hours that the greater than 1.65 causes issues. But my luck you stuff will instantly catch on fire, so I can assume no responsibility and other than to prove what we already suspect/know it is pretty worthless as you do NOT want to keep it at 1.7 volts for long.

Bottom line, I am fairly certain there is no way to work around this memory voltage issue other than to go with less memory and even still it will likely be unreliable as it is starved for operating voltage.

Last edited:
Thank you. That's what I wanted to hear.

Will replace it in ten days and I'll be back to post results.

Back