Hello all,
I have a 17" acer v173 monitor that has been sitting around doing nothing for about a year and a half now because it had been giving my backlight issues. I'm trying to fix it now, but need some advice.
It started to go black randomly, and I would have to cycle the power to have it...
Yeah, that's true. Problem is that I'm worried about paying that much money for things that I will never use, or won't use in the foreseeable future, such as the two NICs and IPMI. Found a board that's slightly cheaper that doesn't have IPMI, and the one that only has one NIC doesn't have the...
That was kinda my thinking, that they would be expensive to the point that the money saved (if any) isn't worth it. But it's always good to know about the options available to you! Besides, with Atom mobo's, you usually only have one expansion slot, so it's not like you can add SATA controller...
Hello,
I'm shopping for new hardware for my home server. I've decided on an Atom-based mobo (I don't need much power, it's mostly for data storage), however many of them come with only 2 SATA ports, and only the more expensive ones sport more.
While I am still looking and measuring up...
Slightly out of my price range, trying to keep it around $100, but yes that is a nice looking board.
Another option I am trying to look into is a SATA port multiplier. Since a traditional mechanical HDDs can only read/write at around 100MB/s max, a SATA 3.0 Gb/s port should support around...
Hrm, I should have mentioned that I also plan to add disks to this thing, so it either needs to have about 4x SATA ports, or work with a SATA expansion card.
That mobo has 2x SATA ports, so I'll eventually add a SATA card to it. My worry is that a basic PCI slot will be inadequate for data...
I currently have what you would call a 'Frankenstein' server -- a server made up of recycled parts. It works, but the time is coming to think about replacing it with a system build with servers in mind.
It's going to be a home server -- the main function of which is to store data (movies...
Nope, didn't work.
Like I said, it boots fine when the graphics card isn't in there. it's only when I put the graphics card in that it stars acting weird...
I have a peculiar problem.
I have a rather old motherboard, a BioStar P4M900-M4 (http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=p4m900-m4), that I use as a cheap Frankenstein HTPC. The onboard video works fine and dandy. However, when I plug in the graphics card (8400GS), the motherboard...
I'm pretty comfortable with Arch Linux at the moment, and I kinda like shaping the OS to my needs rather than a 'one size fits all' kinda thing, but I have been eying FreeNAS for a while now. The only think holding me back is it's based on FreeBSD of which I have no experience with...
Alright,
I recently sent a computer to my girlfriend who recently graduated from BMT and is at Sheppard AFB going to Tech School. The computer is a custom-built computer. I sent it whole -- didn't take any parts out of it except the graphics card (sent that in it's original packaging) and I...
That is true. I also found a clever way to convert RAID1 to RAID5 without data loss: http://www.arkf.net/blog/?p=47
I may just use RAID1 whenever I get my second disk instead of RAID0. At least my data will be secure in a RAID1. ^_^