Motherbpard doesn't go past POST until reset...

xgamer99

n00b
Joined
Sep 30, 2010
Messages
17
I have a peculiar problem.

I have a rather old motherboard, a BioStar P4M900-M4 (http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails.asp?model=p4m900-m4), that I use as a cheap Frankenstein HTPC. The onboard video works fine and dandy. However, when I plug in the graphics card (8400GS), the motherboard starts going through the checks, but hangs right after it displays the processor. But if I hit the reset button, it boots into the system as if nothings wrong...

This has been happening for months now, and I finally want to know why. I've tried searching online to no avail. Anyone here have any ideas?
 
When you turn the system on, it probably didn't have a chance to get a proper response from your hard drive because it was still spinning up, but when you reset the system it was already spinning... Just a guess.... that or your ram is screwy. Try and cold boot with the hard drive data cable and power disconnected and see if it will boot up with no hang.
 
Nope, didn't work.

Like I said, it boots fine when the graphics card isn't in there. it's only when I put the graphics card in that it stars acting weird...
 
Back
Top