Recent content by WiiGame

  1. W

    Can we improve on this 40TB homebrew server design?

    Heh, 2.5GbE ... my mind has only been thinking in gigabit for so long ... this is making me think I gotta recheck my CAT6 cable lengths throughout. But if it's measured switch to switch (vs. router to device), I should still be good.
  2. W

    Can we improve on this 40TB homebrew server design?

    Thanks, everyone. I'm going to take those thoughts into consideration. Something I just thought of: Q: Would 2 Ethernet ports be of any real benefit or would it not really matter (perhaps due to a different bottleneck or just unimpressive load)? A "stressful" use case here is probably 2...
  3. W

    Can we improve on this 40TB homebrew server design?

    Thanks, Darunion ! I've currently got this all in a Rosewill Thor V2. Unfortunately, I'm in a smaller home with family members and lots of other stuff. For example, my "home improvement workbench" is an old Black & Decker Workmate because its foldable and I don't have room for anything...
  4. W

    Can we improve on this 40TB homebrew server design?

    Will some friendly folks take up this challenge? Briefly (I'll fill in any details if requested)... I'm currently running: 12 SATA HDDs under FreeBSD with ZFS-software-only-RAIDs: 6x 4TBs in a RAID-6 2x 6TB mirrored 2x 8TB mirrored 2x 10TB mirrored Intel-CPU'd motherboard with: 8 SATA ports...
  5. W

    8TB internal not responding (mostly) ... how to t-shoot?

    Yes, I totally get the GPT requirement. But I was getting suspicious of the supposed non-booting HDD requirement when I can across other mobo's settings that only indicated it mattered if they were to be booted from. Additional data, a WD 8TB works 100% well (so far) in the same target box the...
  6. W

    8TB internal not responding (mostly) ... how to t-shoot?

    I've been remiss in updating you all / future readers on what's happened with this. I believe the answer to that one was "no." But to expand, here's the answer I got back from Gigabyte (the mobo mfg): "This drive has not been validated to work, please use 2TB or smaller on this board ... since...
  7. W

    8TB internal not responding (mostly) ... how to t-shoot?

    Right. Of course. Not thinking clearly here. At least it's good to know there's a possibility that is the issue.
  8. W

    8TB internal not responding (mostly) ... how to t-shoot?

    I certainly hope it's not that. I've got a 650W in the old desktop and a 750W in the Unix server.
  9. W

    8TB internal not responding (mostly) ... how to t-shoot?

    I have it on 1 of the 6 blue ones. Yes, I could try the ports the manual refers to as "GIGABYTE" but are apparently "Marvell"? BTW, the most recent BIOS and driver updates for this board are 2010-11, so there's not much hope of those updates helping me.
  10. W

    8TB internal not responding (mostly) ... how to t-shoot?

    That's what I was actually looking for. So there *is* a possibility a mobo or SATA2 may not support this drive. But the only things I can find in this manual are # of ports and how to configure in mobo-based RAID, but nothing at all about TB limits or the like. So I'm at a loss as to where to...
  11. W

    8TB internal not responding (mostly) ... how to t-shoot?

    OK, great, thanks folks. I take from this that there are no obvious reasons a recent 8TB drive shouldn't work in this older setup. I just wanted to make sure this didn't repeat on the replacement and I'm back to square 1 but holding a working drive. Thanks again!
  12. W

    8TB internal not responding (mostly) ... how to t-shoot?

    So, no love for the baffled? Or are you all just as lacking of ideas as I am? Or maybe you just prefer the TL;DR version where we go back & forth to help you help me? Should I just make it simpler and edit this down to 100 words and then we can go forward from there? I guess I just figured...
  13. W

    8TB internal not responding (mostly) ... how to t-shoot?

    So, I did try to resolve this without help, but you'll see why this one is a [H]ard one to simply Google. I'll try to make this short & sweet, but also informative enough to minimize unnecessary back & forth ... Old(er) Desktop: CPU: Intel Core i5-750 2.66Ghz RAM: 12GB PS: Corsair Enthusiast...
  14. W

    NAS or bigger server?

    @westrock2000: I never would have given Windows Remote Desktop the time of day. I'll have to try that over TightVNC. @aphex187: You made unRAID sound really tempting. In my case, though, what I'm storing is so important to me to not lose and always have in good condition, I'm still attracted...
  15. W

    NAS or bigger server?

    Thanks, Billy. Yes, this would be for a rotating off-site backup; I would love a few (or at least one) example of a cleaner way to do this with ZFS, or even if link if you don't have the time to write something up. I like the sound of "cleaner" but I'm having trouble envisioning anything...
Back
Top