• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Recent content by polar-ten

  1. P

    6-pin PCIe power converter with Shuttle SN25P

    Looking in my SN25P (not all the parts have arrived yet), I noticed that it has the following power connectors: three SATA power connectors and two 4-pin molex connectors. I'm planning to put in this case an SATA drive, a DVD drive, an IDE hard drive, and a PCIE graphics card which comes with...
  2. P

    deleting System Volume Information folder after using Partition Magic

    Just testing it on my work machine here; I added my user name into the list with full access and it wouldn't let me rename it. I then changed the owner to myself (it was set to the person who built this box (the username windows was installed under)), and it still wouldn't let me rename it. In...
  3. P

    deleting System Volume Information folder after using Partition Magic

    I had a 160 gig drive partitioned into one 20 gig drive (for the system) and the rest a separate partition for data. I used Partition Magic to combine the drives into one - I combined them into C and chose the option to put the contents of the other drive into a folder on C. Now, inside this...
  4. P

    Disabling write verify on WD drives connected to LSI SATA MegaRAID?

    I couldn't find a 4.5 GB file so I did a 2.5 GB one - the whole operation took about 70 seconds, which comes out to about 35 MB/sec.
  5. P

    Disabling write verify on WD drives connected to LSI SATA MegaRAID?

    I used Sandra 2005 to measure the write speed. If you suggest another program I'll try that one too. I'll also do the DVD ISO thing when I get home, if I can find one anywhere. I did copy a few over last night, and I think 2-3 minutes would be a pretty accurate guess for how long it took for...
  6. P

    Disabling write verify on WD drives connected to LSI SATA MegaRAID?

    Would you suggest I disable write caching or leave it enabled?
  7. P

    The [H]ard Forum Terabyte Club - READ first post before posting

    I'll join the club too. Also in the case right now is a WD 120 and a Seagate 160, but those will be removed soon once I feel confident that the RAID is set up properly to move the data onto it.
  8. P

    Disabling write verify on WD drives connected to LSI SATA MegaRAID?

    OK, I also emailed the LSI support team about this and they had a few tips to improve performance - they suggested enabling write caching (probably going to turn this off when I get home, as I've read that this is better for small files and this setup is basically for storing media), setting...
  9. P

    norton ghost

    Yeah, probably. Depends on the version of windows (personally, I've never had this problem, so I didn't even think about it).
  10. P

    norton ghost

    After you format the drive and ghost everything back to it, you won't need to reload everything - it'll be an exact copy of the previous drive. Just make sure that the drive is installed correctly (correct jumpers, etc) and it'll work fine.
  11. P

    Disabling write verify on WD drives connected to LSI SATA MegaRAID?

    Ok, thanks, I'll give that a shot when I get home (I'm stuck at work now). If write-back is on and the power supply fails, how much more data does one stand to lose if it was on write-through instead?
  12. P

    Disabling write verify on WD drives connected to LSI SATA MegaRAID?

    4 MB/sec sequential, 2 MB/sec random.
  13. P

    Disabling write verify on WD drives connected to LSI SATA MegaRAID?

    I went into the BIOS config, looked at the drives, and write caching was enabled for all of them. Should I turn it off?
  14. P

    norton ghost

    I don't think you can use Ghost to copy a part of a drive to another, it's either all or nothing. If you were to copy just the WOW program files to an external drive and then copy it back and run it, I'm fairly sure that it wouldn't work. However if you ghost the whole drive to another, then...
  15. P

    Disabling write verify on WD drives connected to LSI SATA MegaRAID?

    I just set up the RAID last night (6x WD3200JD in a RAID 5) and while read speeds are fine, write speeds are anemic. Sandra2005 suggests to disable write verify to increase write speed, but from what I can tell, this has to be done to the drives themselves, and I don't know if it will work on...
Back
Top