• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

norton ghost

magoo

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
14,700
I have a maybe stupid question???? If I copy a program file....say WOW to my external HDD, using ghost....can I call it up and restore it to the C: drive after I reformat the C: drive???? Im getting a new MOBO and dont want to have to reload all the 8 million WOW updates,etc.... I hope this isnt some stupid noob question but Im curious before I go out and buy Norton. I suppose I could also burn it to a disc and reload that way too, right. But Id like to use my external HDD if I can.
 
I don't think you can use Ghost to copy a part of a drive to another, it's either all or nothing. If you were to copy just the WOW program files to an external drive and then copy it back and run it, I'm fairly sure that it wouldn't work. However if you ghost the whole drive to another, then back to C:\, everything should work fine. It'd be better to use the external drive for storage (due to access speeds) and have your OS and programs on the main drive.

ag
 
Thank you thats what I was afraid of. Now, if I ghost the entire C: drive, I ghost the OS right???? Will that conflict with the reformat or will I need to reload the os separately at all when I restore???
 
After you format the drive and ghost everything back to it, you won't need to reload everything - it'll be an exact copy of the previous drive. Just make sure that the drive is installed correctly (correct jumpers, etc) and it'll work fine.
 
polar-ten said:
After you format the drive and ghost everything back to it, you won't need to reload everything - it'll be an exact copy of the previous drive. Just make sure that the drive is installed correctly (correct jumpers, etc) and it'll work fine.

The problem will be that Windows will know that it's on a new motherboard and get all huffy with you. It will force you to reactivate etc.

google for articles or threads on repairing a windows install after a motherboard upgrade.

 
Yeah, probably. Depends on the version of windows (personally, I've never had this problem, so I didn't even think about it).
 
Back
Top