• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recent content by planum

  1. P

    ZFS lockup with hard drive failure

    Spent a good deal of time today with this glich and so I want to summarize a few points that may save others time. If a drive is bad and the zpool status command hangs, it seemed to resolve when you physically remove drive and try again Using cfgadm -al to get the id of the bad drive; then...
  2. P

    ZFS lockup with hard drive failure

    was not to the point of stress testing yet. This was a bad drive right out of the box. Zpool was in degraded state shortly after it was created and it flagged this drive. I removed it to test it on another computer (hitachi drive diagnostic)-- which it passed. So I thought I would give it...
  3. P

    ZFS lockup with hard drive failure

    yes that is partly my question, let me show you the /var/adm/message part: Jul 29 16:50:36 lyra fmd: [ID 377184 daemon.error] SUNW-MSG-ID: ZFS-8000-GH, TYPE: Fault, VER: 1, SEVERITY: Major Jul 29 16:50:36 lyra EVENT-TIME: Fri Jul 29 16:50:36 EDT 2011 Jul 29 16:50:36 lyra PLATFORM...
  4. P

    ZFS lockup with hard drive failure

    validation of the hardware is the plan as this is a new enclosure with new drives. btw what do you use for stress test? have been investigating the sunvts as an option.
  5. P

    ZFS lockup with hard drive failure

    iostat -eEi will yield the drive error statistics and the -i option generates the device id so that you can correlate this to the zpool status output if you can get that. However, if the zpool status -v command hangs after a few lines of output and you cannot see the individual drive...
  6. P

    ZFS lockup with hard drive failure

    I searched for this on the web and the closest thing I came up with was a 2009 discussion about a bug in opensolaris being the culprit but I am running openindiana 148 and I expect it has been addressed. I have a 16 bay sas enclosure populated with 2tb SATA drives (hitachi x7) connected to...
  7. P

    sas expander vs ?

    Many thanks, I could not find the specifics on the areca website either thanks for that link. The expansion chassis allows for SAS or SATA drives. I have SATA drives in the expansion chassis but I expect the issue is the backplane chip communicates via a SAS expander protocol that the Areca...
  8. P

    sas expander vs ?

    Apparently a very basic tenet is escaping me regarding RAID SAS PCI express x8 cards and sas expanders. So if someone could clarify... I have an areca 1221x raid card with 2x 8088 output connections that I have tried to connect to multiple 12 bay hard drive expansion cases with ?LSI based sas...
  9. P

    Read less than write

    12 drives total in sas expander box connected to server via single 8088 cable I know there can be many variables so the question isn't simple to answer but I was just suspecting that maybe block size or some other tuning parameter may need adjusting. Maybe next step is a benchmark test. If...
  10. P

    Read less than write

    rlksun@proxima:~# uname -a SunOS proxima 5.11 oi_148 i86pc i386 i86pc
  11. P

    Read less than write

    Hi, I am new to the forum and have a zfs specific question I have a 12 bay array with 1tb drives in a raid-z2 configuration newly setup. This is a result of iostat with a ~1100 file copy operation from on directory to another on the same machine (so no network slow downs)...
  12. P

    Array label destruction

    FWIW I have learned that this naming scheme is part of the way solaris handles naming devices that are presented by the HBA utilizing WWN target. I have yet to find a way to override this in the LSI firmware/BIOS. This is going to make naming the zpool devices externally cumbersome. I don't...
  13. P

    Array label destruction

    Thanks, I gave that a try as well as, letting the LSI card do a hardware/low level format. Problem is subsequently when solaris goes to configure devices it says label corrupt and loads the "backup" which is the old long "RAID0" target identifier I think (presumably it is retrieving this off the...
  14. P

    cannot install windows server 2008R2 on an ICH10 RAID1 setup

    Sorry ignore above msg, posted to incorrect thread.
  15. P

    cannot install windows server 2008R2 on an ICH10 RAID1 setup

    I gave that a try as well as letting the LSI card do a hardware/low level format. Problem is when solaris goes to configure devices it says label corrupt and loads the "backup" which is the old long "RAID0" target identifier I think. Seems almost as tho it is stored in the hdd in a way that...
Back
Top