• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

sas expander vs ?

planum

n00b
Joined
Mar 10, 2011
Messages
17
Apparently a very basic tenet is escaping me regarding RAID SAS PCI express x8 cards and sas expanders. So if someone could clarify...
I have an areca 1221x raid card with 2x 8088 output connections that I have tried to connect to multiple 12 bay hard drive expansion cases with ?LSI based sas expander backplanes and a single 8088 port (IN). The areca NEVER recognizes any of the external drives. Is this a limitation of the intel IOP 348 chip?? I have been able to get LSI raid cards and HP raid cards to recognize them fine. the areca documentation says it supports external raid/jbod via 8088 cable but I have been unable to resolve this and make it recognize the external drives. any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Many thanks, I could not find the specifics on the areca website either thanks for that link. The expansion chassis allows for SAS or SATA drives.
I have SATA drives in the expansion chassis but I expect the issue is the backplane chip communicates via a SAS expander protocol that the Areca can't recognize.
 
Yes, a SATA device can work on a SAS HBA or SAS expander, but a SAS device or SAS expander cannot work on a SATA HBA.

SAS > SATA
 
Back
Top