Recent content by jdempsey

  1. J

    Aliexpress/etc GPUs?

    yeah fair point I hadn't considered. TBH I haven't ordered anything from Aliexpress/etc since the whole tariff war fiasco.. Previous to that, there had seemingly been long-standing blanket exception given for personal imports here in the US, but I had heard that changed. Even $6000 fiber laser...
  2. J

    Aliexpress/etc GPUs?

    I know I know.. I'm sure you guys will have a laugh, but I'm curious if anybody here has any experience with import GPUs off aliexpress. A friend of mine is considering a build with a 9060xt 16gb, and comparative prices are pretty good.. I've bought quite a few things, some, orders of magnitude...
  3. J

    DLSS 5 - Generative AI

    How many of these youngsters here have even seen a horse in real life, let alone a pale one? I'm sure the LLMs will "explain" all this to them. ;)
  4. J

    Thinking of getting a 9070 (non-XT), how much of a bottleneck can i expect with a 5600x on a B450 motherboard?

    Think you made the right call! I did the same thing, finally upgraded my 1080ti to a 9070 non-XT (and this was my preference regardless of price, efficiency is king for me living off-grid), and I'm very happy with it. I got the ASRock Challenger (not a great looking card, but I'm not concerned...
  5. J

    15 Days of FREE Games from the Epic Game Store (2025)

    Now that Big J's Island is off the destination menu, who cares anymore? :ROFLMAO:
  6. J

    Looking to upgrade from my 2070

    I agree, and it's worth mentioning that 12% performance difference is at 30-40% savings in watts consumed vs the 9070xt as well. If the OP is in an area where electricity costs are skyrocketing due to the other side of the AI-bullshit bubble speculation coin, as opposed to the dram side, that...
  7. J

    Looking to upgrade from my 2070

    I think (correct me if I'm wrong) but the B580 is likely to suffer in this case with the OPs current CPU.. I don't think the 8700k's platform supports resizable BAR for one, and the Intel GPUs in general; though performance has greatly improved on them through recent updates; still appear to be...
  8. J

    How to sell your old video card with a 3rd party water block?

    I had no problem selling a card with an EKWB block a few years ago on ebay, didn't get a premium for the block but didn't take a hit from it either vs other cards with stock coolers. In this case it was a card with a notoriously bad cooler for the gpu, which was underperforming but the silicon...
  9. J

    15 Days of FREE Games from the Epic Game Store (2025)

    Yeah I understand the "devs get a bigger cut" angle, and from a purely pragmatic standpoint, it tempts me to support Epic, but I think there are some pretty strong caveats to this argument otherwise: 1) I don't believe this is predicated on any sort of honest ideological stance, it's merely...
  10. J

    FS/T: Moving Sale - Bunch of parts and combos.

    Congrats on getting the F Outta NY! That xFrame case is very cool.
  11. J

    15 Days of FREE Games from the Epic Game Store (2025)

    I'd be absolutely mind-fucking-blown if they gave away Hades 2.. I mean it's recently released, still selling like hot-cakes presumably, and even driving sales of the first game at non-sale prices.. I guess it could happen, but I'd suspect epic would have to give a serious bag of cash to the...
  12. J

    RX 9070 for $509 w free ship @ Newegg. Deadish (now $529)

    I agree 100%. Though I think AMD made a gross miscalculation when picking it's MSRP however, and have said since day 1 that if they'd put the 9070 $100 (at least) below the 9070XT from the start (and actually had supply) it would have gotten the attention it deserves.
  13. J

    RX 9070 for $509 w free ship @ Newegg. Deadish (now $529)

    Back up to $529 (still below retail) atm, but I expect we'll see this sale again in the next few days..
  14. J

    Steam On Linux Use Easily Hits An All-Time High In November

    I can certainly understand this view, but I think it's important to recognize it's just not a one size, one solution fits all scenario. Never was, hopefully never will be. Cachy was just an example regardless, but to be clear I don't think if Dell started putting linux on everything they make...
  15. J

    RX 9070 for $509 w free ship @ Newegg. Deadish (now $529)

    Great deal if they're close enough to not cost you significant gas/time, and if you're less concerned about power consumption than total performance. $70 gap isn't as clear a value proposition for sure, but in my use case, efficiency is king, and the significantly added wattage cost for that...
Back
Top