• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recent content by buildornot

  1. B

    i7 4770k stock fan whining sound

    I diligently checked everywhere on the motherboard for any vibrations, and unfortunately, it still seems like it's purely the cpu fan itself. It's definitely not the psu or the gpu. I checked by putting a cylinder against my ear and each component to isolate potential sounds. It really sounds...
  2. B

    i7 4770k stock fan whining sound

    I'm using a brand new i7 4770k cpu with its stock heatsink and fan. I notice that at random times, the fan makes a soft but audible wailing noise, almost like a ghostly girl's wail that's slow to increase in pitch and not too loud. It's kind of high pitched, not low, although on rare occasions...
  3. B

    complex intel rapid start instructions

    I installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 on my desktop, and I also installed the intel rapid start driver that came with the motherboard. But when I googled intel rapid start, I found this instruction manual from intel that tells me I should do certain things to enable the function...
  4. B

    Firefox Tab Recovery from old hard drive

    My old pc died, so I built a new one and reinstalled Windows onto a new hard drive. As a secondary drive, I reconnected the old hard drive that has the old Windows installed on it. Before my old computer died, I had a firefox session running and the computer was put into hibernate. The...
  5. B

    PSU good for video card?

    Just checked it again today without the gpu installed, and the coil whine disappeared. So thankfully it's not the PSU. With the gpu installed, I ran the valley gpu test, and the gpu makes a miniature version sound of the old dial up modem racket. I think this would be RMA-able?
  6. B

    Chipset not installing on fresh Windows 7 install

    I didn't know that, good to know. So it's not really the case that asus's version of the driver is optimized for their hardware? Should I look for Intel's versions for the usb, graphics, and rapid start features too? I tried looking for the chipset driver on Intel's website but it's...
  7. B

    Intel rapid start options in bios?

    I'm trying to enable Intel rapid start from the bios, but I don't really understand what these mean. What would ths be in plain, everyday language? Entry on S3 RTC Wake [Enabled] The system automatically wakes up and set to Rapid Start Technology S3 mode. Confguration options: [Enabled]...
  8. B

    Chipset not installing on fresh Windows 7 install

    Copied the files from the usb drive to the hard drive and it installed ok! Don't know if it installed properly the original way. After clicking OK on the error message, another error message pops up saying "InstAll has stopped working" and that it needs to close asussetup.exe. Is there a way...
  9. B

    Chipset not installing on fresh Windows 7 install

    After a completely fresh install of Windows 7 64bit, the first thing I did was try to install the intel chipset. However, when I double click the setup file, it says that it's installing the software and asks to restart. After restarting, there's an error message that says "can't find target...
  10. B

    Comodo firewall and avira av still the best?

    Yeah it was some version 5 I believe. So I take it that if I roll back to an earlier version of comodo firewall I'd still be getting the same protection as the latest versions but without the annoying ui? It's not like the case with browsers where if I don't update to the latest version, I could...
  11. B

    How to check if Windows 7 disc is untampered or not faulty

    Drats, I thought windows update would provide a list of individual updates included in sp1 if I didn't install sp1 already. I'll just use the full installer on Digital River then.
  12. B

    How to check if Windows 7 disc is untampered or not faulty

    So from what you're saying, I assume that at some point I'll have to install the full sp1 update package, and I cannot just pick and choose the updates of sp1 I want through windows update? I was under the impression I'd be able to do the latter so that's why I was trying to look for a plain...
  13. B

    PSU good for video card?

    Yeah it's currently in the build. It's brand new though. I'll check again to make sure it's coming from the gpu, but I'm pretty sure it is.
Back
Top