• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Chipset not installing on fresh Windows 7 install

buildornot

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 26, 2013
Messages
86
After a completely fresh install of Windows 7 64bit, the first thing I did was try to install the intel chipset.

However, when I double click the setup file, it says that it's installing the software and asks to restart. After restarting, there's an error message that says "can't find target .ini: (file name and location goes here)".

I have an Asus Z87-A motherboard. Before freshly installing Windows 7, I downloaded the latest chipset file from their support website, unzipped the folder, and saved it to a usb stick. After the fresh install, I double clicked the file "asussetup" to start the installation process.
 
Did it install just fine or did the installation not finish and canceled out completely? This is a reoccurring issue on many Asus boards dating back to my 2009 Asus P5Q-Pro board and google showing many others. I'm thinking it actually installed and it's just that pop up error when Windows first loads.

IIRC the simple solution to fixing this dumb error was to go into the target path and create a dummy file for the .ini file itself.


This might help.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=SABERTOOTH Z77&id=20120923071927037
 
Did it install just fine or did the installation not finish and canceled out completely? This is a reoccurring issue on many Asus boards dating back to my 2009 Asus P5Q-Pro board and google showing many others. I'm thinking it actually installed and it's just that pop up error when Windows first loads.

IIRC the simple solution to fixing this dumb error was to go into the target path and create a dummy file for the .ini file itself.


This might help.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=SABERTOOTH Z77&id=20120923071927037

Copied the files from the usb drive to the hard drive and it installed ok!

Don't know if it installed properly the original way. After clicking OK on the error message, another error message pops up saying "InstAll has stopped working" and that it needs to close asussetup.exe.

Is there a way to check whether the chipset that was installed is the 64 or 32 bit version? Or any driver for that matter?
 
Copied the files from the usb drive to the hard drive and it installed ok!

Don't know if it installed properly the original way. After clicking OK on the error message, another error message pops up saying "InstAll has stopped working" and that it needs to close asussetup.exe.

Is there a way to check whether the chipset that was installed is the 64 or 32 bit version? Or any driver for that matter?

I have a P8P67 Pro and this same exact thing was happening. I had done fresh Windows with new drivers many times without any issue. All of a sudden, I got this same message on my last try. I went ahead and loaded a backup image instead as I was not able to resolve.
 
Please do not use the bloated driver installers that Asus provides on their website. Their 259 MB Intel Chipset INF file is 2.9MB of Intel and 256.1 MB of ASUS.

Just download the Intel Chipset Setup Utility from Intel and other drivers separately.
 
Please do not use the bloated driver installers that Asus provides on their website. Their 259 MB Intel Chipset INF file is 2.9MB of Intel and 256.1 MB of ASUS.

Just download the Intel Chipset Setup Utility from Intel and other drivers separately.

I didn't know that, good to know. So it's not really the case that asus's version of the driver is optimized for their hardware? Should I look for Intel's versions for the usb, graphics, and rapid start features too?

I tried looking for the chipset driver on Intel's website but it's nonexistent. I'm running a z87 chipset. When I use their driver search page, after selecting desktop boards and 8 series, there's no z87 option.
 
Back
Top