Rx580 fans wont spin unless i touch the gpu

Debidoobs

n00b
Hello,

My rx580 sapphire pulse 8gb stopped working. I put it on my bench and i have all the right voltages even Vcore 900mv and no bad fuses. But fans are not spinning when turned on. Strange thing is if i touch the gpu chip with my finger when powering it up, the card looks like it s booting normally as fans start and keep spinning like it should..

EN is going to the power management ic sometimes, sometimes not. It s because i dont recover PERST_BUF which is going pin2 of a AND Gate u1000... Before i did the trick by placing a 1k resistor between 3.3v and and gate ouput, it works for months.. but there is something else since.

That s why i m wondering if my vcore is present, can i keep thinking the problem is the ncp81022 ?

The only schematic i found related to a RX580 mention a u100 ic which produce the PERST_Buf before the u1000 logic gate... Unfortunatly on the rx580 sapphire pulse, u100 is not present so i cannot go further.

Do you have some tips to help me in this situation ? Im using a pcb riser and a lab psu. I feed 12v into pcb riser and 12v is going also on the 8 pci connector on the top right of the card.

Attachments

• 20230108_210458.jpg
    20230108_210458.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 0
This sounds to me like a BGA failure, or damage to the board.

It's also possible that it's something like a cracked solder joint on some other component, but if it's intermittent, or it works if you press on certain components, it's probably something mechanical that's failed.

you could try microwaving it ;)

yeah sounds like bga coming apart, possibly. could try reflowing it, but unless your using this for practice/learning, its not really worth the time and effort...
could also try some washers on the back screws to make it tighten down a bit more and reconnect any breaks....

I did the oven trick on several cards with great success. Last card I baked in the oven was a 980Ti I purchase on flebay for parts or repair. When I tested it, it was sure dead, but the fans spun up. Baked it and sure enough it came back to life. I sold it to a neighbor and he still has it in his dell rig chugging away.

Back