[Microsoft] Windows 8 for $14.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it, it's asking for a windows 7 key and when I provide a working valid key it doesnt accept it... so thats why I said deal must be dead. I'm in Canada, maybe that's why?

I don't get it, it's asking for a windows 7 key and when I provide a working valid key it doesnt accept it... so thats why I said deal must be dead. I'm in Canada, maybe that's why?

I tried with my retail non oem key and its a no go, I think it only applies to oem keys

Worked like a charm, with no need to give it an old windows 7 key.

Wasn't asked what bit OS I wanted, just gave me one. Is there a way to tell which one I drew?

Wasn't asked what bit OS I wanted, just gave me one. Is there a way to tell which one I drew?

If you ran the update assistant from a 64-bit windows then you got a 64bit ISO.

up and running, thanks op.

dumb question.... I did update now instead of creating an iso (idiot I know). best way to get an iso for when I decide its time for a clean install?

I've been using Pokki all day. I think it looks the best... but for whatever reason about half the time I go to use it, it's either very slow to open (several seconds) or sometimes does not open at all.

I like Startisback way better then pokki. its been flawless all day.

Thanks for this. Burned it to a DVD and did a clean install. I had problems during activation, but a call to MS support fixed it real quick, I was surprised I got a live operator 2 minutes on the call ...

up and running, thanks op.

dumb question.... I did update now instead of creating an iso (idiot I know). best way to get an iso for when I decide its time for a clean install?

Files should be located in a hidden folder c:\esd if I recall, should be able to make your own from that....

Ok I bit, the boot up speed looks nice.

So is upgrade install pretty good now a days? I got win7 on my laptop. I know bare bones reformat is the best, but now a days software is pretty stable. (unlike back in the win 5/xp days where the OS would just get garbaged up and corrupted files here and there. and i was reformatting all the time).

Kinda lazy to back up everything.

Edit: I forget there is a partition on this hd that has HP crap in it, maybe i should just reformat the whole thing now...

How long does it take to go through? I used paypal and I got the email from paypal saying that the payment went through about a half hour ago but nothing from microsoft. Is this normal?

if anyone has an extra key they don't want. I'll take it off your hands. =) Serious though...

How long does it take to go through? I used paypal and I got the email from paypal saying that the payment went through about a half hour ago but nothing from microsoft. Is this normal?

The 2 times I bought the upgrade it was instant. They e-mailed me my key right away and the upgrade assistant asked if I wanted to download an iso or the files for usb installation.

I'm in canada and when I installed it didn't ask for a win 7 key.

Think I will just repartiton reformat, gives me a good reason to finally do it and get rid of the wasted HP crap on this laptop =)

Ok I bit, the boot up speed looks nice.

So is upgrade install pretty good now a days? I got win7 on my laptop. I know bare bones reformat is the best, but now a days software is pretty stable. (unlike back in the win 5/xp days where the OS would just get garbaged up and corrupted files here and there. and i was reformatting all the time).

Kinda lazy to back up everything.

Edit: I forget there is a partition on this hd that has HP crap in it, maybe i should just reformat the whole thing now...

If you have problems with the upgrade or if something doesn't work, there is a windows refresh option that will nuke everything and start from scratch like you just formatted. I haven't tried it yet myself, my upgrade was flawless.

Some clarification: When it works it does NOT ask for a W7 key. The thing is if it request a Key you are doing nothing wrong. You just have bad luck. I have followed several forums and have not found why it does request the key only for some people. From my experience if it does not work the best is to try in another PC. Changing browsers or clearing cache or history does not seam to make much of a difference.

How did you manage that? It always asks me for a Win 7 key and won't accept mine.

Some clarification: When it works it does NOT ask for a W7 key. The thing is if it request a Key you are doing nothing wrong. You just have bad luck. I have followed several forums and have not found why it does request the key only for some people. From my experience if it does not work the best is to try in another PC. Changing browsers or clearing cache or history does not seam to make much of a difference.

My guess it asks for a win 7 serial when you enter a model that dont make sense. My brother did it with a 2 year old model number and it asked for a key then did it again with a random model from newegg and it worked.

The 2 times I bought the upgrade it was instant. They e-mailed me my key right away and the upgrade assistant asked if I wanted to download an iso or the files for usb installation.
Hmm. I guess I'll have to call up Microsoft tomorrow. What happened was after I submitted paypal information, the upgrade assistant went purple and nothing showed up but a grayed out back and next button. It stayed like that for a while so I just xed out of it; I didn't even get a chance to download the iso. So basically, they took my money and gave me nothing in return. I never got an email confirming my purchase so I'm assuming they probably don't even know I bought it.

What happened was after I submitted paypal information, the upgrade assistant went purple and nothing showed up but a grayed out back and next button. It stayed like that for a while so I just xed out of it; I didn't even get a chance to download the iso.

Same thing happened to me, but before the PayPal submission page. I resrtarted the upgrade assistant, and it proceeded through the second time. You might try re-running the assistant and see where it picks up at.

My guess it asks for a win 7 serial when you enter a model that dont make sense. My brother did it with a 2 year old model number and it asked for a key then did it again with a random model from newegg and it worked.

Did he also use newegg as the vendor and what model was it?

Thanks OP. Got it downloading now and already have my key. I was going to wait, but for $14.99 I couldn't wait.

Got my Win 8 Pro downloaded onto a flash drive for installation sometime in the future. Also got the key for WMC. But, it says you have to activate the key for WMC before Jan 31. So, I guess I'll have to install it and activate to get it? Sounds like a PITA, but I do have extra drives laying around I can install on.

Most likely this depends if the system had 7 installed on it OEM or not. Systems that ship with Windows have the Windows license burned in to the BIOS/UEFI. Windows knows how to look for that. So likely if you install Windows 8 on a system with an OEM Windows license already on it, it is happy. If you have a custom build, with the license separate, it'll probably want the key.

Most likely this depends if the system had 7 installed on it OEM or not. Systems that ship with Windows have the Windows license burned in to the BIOS/UEFI. Windows knows how to look for that. So likely if you install Windows 8 on a system with an OEM Windows license already on it, it is happy. If you have a custom build, with the license separate, it'll probably want the key.

That may not be the case, I have Win 7 Ultimate direct from MS, from a sales promotion on 7's release. Full version, installed on the system in my sig, and I didn't get a key prompt. I paid by card, if that makes a difference.

Just used this method and it worked. Be sure you use a credit card, as the customer service rep told me on the phone that the PayPal payments are only working intermittently as of the last few days. I'm sure they'll be working later this week, but mine failed and I ended up using my Visa Debit.

How did you manage that? It always asks me for a Win 7 key and won't accept mine.

Is this your first attempt at downloading on that pc? My first DL went fine but my second asked for a w7 key like yours...I started up a linux vm and ran it there. Worked perfectly. Try another PC.

I have win 7 home premium oem bought from ne. andwhen I did it I didn't get the win 7 key prompt. also I told it the vendor was other and the model was arc midi. my wife had a non legit copy of 7 that someone installed before I bought her pc on cl and for it we said it was Dell as the vendor and the model was precision.

just putting it out there for the folks having problems to try.

I finally got my Win8 media player code at 3:30pm on Sunday and signed up for it on Friday.

How long does this last? I am on the fence about picking it up. I am happy with 7 and don't like the UI in 8, but realize I might need it 2-3 years down the road for DX 12 or some other new feature that might not be supported in Win 7.

Not sure if this has been posted as far as clean installs go but...

In Windows 8, go to Control Panel and then Recovery. In there is an option to create a recovery drive. I have not played with this yet but the description says, "Create a recovery drive to refresh or reset your PC..."

Looks like this will create a recovery drive using USB media but I'm not sure to what extent of cleanliness the installation is. It looks like if you pick the Reset option it will then wipe out everything and do a fresh install.

Might be useful for creating 'install' media for this $15 upgrade.

I do not think that MS adds DX support to older OS, usually they launch it in a new OS and force people over. So DX12 would likely be windows 9. Also since this deal is being abused by some people, their is no promise it will even work tomorrow. MS could close up the loop hole at any point. No one knows if they are purposely leaving it open because they know the tech savvy are fairly adverse to the changes in windows 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back