Cheapest way to 100k PPD

swoody

Limp Gawd
Hello, world!

I had created a similar thread some time ago with the idea of coming up with a plan to get to 100k PPD for the least amount out of pocket. This was in the good ole days when an i7-2600k would pump out BA workunits. The result basically wound up being naked, bare-bones 2600k boxes, running linux off of USB sticks or cheap, used drives. Final cost was just under $1500 for 100k PPD.

Now then... with all the latest changes in the way of the BA rules, the v7 client, etc. what would be the cheapest way to get to 100K PPD today? Would it still be multiple 2600k boxen? Would the 3930k offer a better PPD / $ value and require fewer total systems? Would it be best to build a 2P / 4P or SR2 beast for BA work units?

Any ideas, thoughts, or opinions are greatly welcomed!

Woody

Last edited:
A used dual 1366 system is the best way. Save on power and should be able to get it with chips that will pump 100K+ for under $1k

I might be putting my SR-2 rig up for sale here. PM me if you want the details.

Yha, the 2p 1366 isn't great.. an sr2 will do it, but it most likely will be nakid.

I'm hiting 72k tops on 6904s, with the lowest xeon l5639s

Your smartest is a 4p board with only 2 cpus so when you do get more folding money, your investment isn't wasted.

A used dual 1366 system is the best way. Save on power and should be able to get it with chips that will pump 100K+ for under $1k

I have to agree with kendrak on this one, they use low power and just run. Finding cheap cpu's is a bit of a challange but it can be done. Even better if you can get an ATX sized board - no need to worry about a new case.

My slowest one gets 104k on 6904 and 110k on 6903, the faster one will do upto 164k.

I like them that much that at least one of my rigs will be treated to new cpu's at some point this year:cool:

For the short term you can go with a single 6-core gulftown, and run linux on it. I have one of those (with the 980, @ 3.3Ghz) and it is getting 60-70k ppd. If you did a mild overclock then you could be at 100k. (I need to get around to overclocking mine!)

My 3930k in linux would easily get 100k, infact probably close to 150k, as it is at 4.8Ghz. However a 3930k setup is certainly not cheap.

I'll be watching this thread closely! Since I'm right on the edge of buying something new, this is ideal!

What's your opinions on a dual 2011 board? Good/bad idea? Too little?

I did a 4p board w/ only 2 cpu. HFM is reporting it is 194k.

Cost:
$600 for the pair of cpu
$650 for the 4p board
$50 for the pair of 212's
$120 for the ram
PSU was recycled.

So under $1500.

My dual xeon box is pulling in 76k

For the short term you can go with a single 6-core gulftown, and run linux on it. I have one of those (with the 980, @ 3.3Ghz) and it is getting 60-70k ppd. If you did a mild overclock then you could be at 100k. (I need to get around to overclocking mine!)

My 3930k in linux would easily get 100k, infact probably close to 150k, as it is at 4.8Ghz. However a 3930k setup is certainly not cheap.

my 970 is only averaging around 60K ppd these days running at 3.6

Moar cores, F@H likes clockspeed - but it absolutely loves cores, the more the merrier and a 6c/12t Gulftown still allows -bigadv units, something a 2600k cannot do

Moar cores, F@H likes clockspeed - but it absolutely loves cores, the more the merrier and a 6c/12t Gulftown still allows -bigadv units*, something a 2600k cannot do

*for now

(FTFY)

2 12c's on a 4p board would probably be the best solution, you could even OC with tears bios if you get the right board. Power wise that's probably your best bet, and leaves room for upgrades in the future

2 12c's on a 4p board would probably be the best solution, you could even OC with tears bios if you get the right board. Power wise that's probably your best bet, and leaves room for upgrades in the future

I agree that this is by far the best option, but it will cost about 50-75% more than a 2P 1366 rig.

Just depends if this is a one shot and done or a stepping stone to even higher PPD.

Your best money spent is towards a 4P board populated to 2P just like Vaulter98c and Kendrak have stated. Gives you an upgrade path and a lot of PPD possibilities, however the machine will pretty much only be good for folding. If you have any ideas of using a system for daily driver use, you should consider another route.

Theres a SR2 in the FS/T forums right? look into that, should get you about 100k

Those would be those AMD 2.1 GHz 12-core units? Those would be really good for folding, wouldn't they? Sounds like more for the money than 1366 Xeons!

What about these AMD 16-core units? If they were any good, I imagine you guys would be buying nothing else! :)
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=68550&vpn=PSO-6272-210-16M6400&manufacture=SuperMicro

That 16 core cpu a new AMD interlagos chip, they are worse at folding and use more power than the older 61xx chips.

The older 12 core 61xx chips are the ones to get, ebay is your best place but prices are rising and speed is just a question of what you can afford to spend.

Your best money spent is towards a 4P board populated to 2P just like Vaulter98c and Kendrak have stated. Gives you an upgrade path and a lot of PPD possibilities, however the machine will pretty much only be good for folding. If you have any ideas of using a system for daily driver use, you should consider another route.

Can you guys drop some models or specs to look for with 4P solutions? The upgrade path sounds like a smart move, but I can already hear my wallet crying ;)

I have a 2P 2011 setup that averages about 315k ppd, but it is expensive.
Can you provide us with your specs and price ranges?

I did a 4p board w/ only 2 cpu. HFM is reporting it is 194k.

Cost:
$600 for the pair of cpu
$650 for the 4p board
$50 for the pair of 212's
$120 for the ram
PSU was recycled.

So under $1500.

That's not too shabby at all. Can you provide more details on your setup?

Can you guys drop some models or specs to look for with 4P solutions? The upgrade path sounds like a smart move, but I can already hear my wallet crying ;)

Supermicro is the way to go regardless. There are 2 basic socket layouts, and each is available with either and SAS controller of an SATA controller, in several configurations.

H8QGL-i - newer socket layout, SATA controller
H8QGL-6 - newer socket layout, SAS controller
H8QGi - older socket layout, SATA controller
H8QG6 - older socket layout, SAS controller

SAS boards are more expensive, and SAS is not beneficial for a folding box. The overwhelming majority of us run either H8QGL-i or H8QGi boards for this reason. The entry-level boards in each series are the H8QGL-iF+ and the H8QGi+-F-O (the picture is wrong I believe - this board only has 1 PCI-e slot.) Of these two, I would recommend the H8QGL-iF+.

Last edited:
You want:
This ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231492 1 kit per cpu
This board: http://www.wiredzone.com/Supermicro-H8QGi+-F-Motherboard-SWTX-w--Quad-1944-pin-S-G34~10020000~0.htm
These coolers: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065 1 per cpu
Cpu: Watch ebay, I would go with 12 cores, 6168, 674, etc. The 61xx series is what you want. SE versions allow for some voltage control and I believe multiplier as well
Hard drive: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-16G...C_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item4d0041697a
PSU, depends on what you want. 500w should be fine for 2 cpu, I'd go 800w for 4 cpu. I like the corsair stuff.

Then you want to read these:
Musky's multiple processor g34 checklist: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1669698
Tear's bios: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1677395
Musky's Ubuntu guide: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1601608
Musky's 212 mounting guide: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1662099

This is what I know and pretty much what I did, well, i did get the wrong ram, so....

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sorry, I got my part numbers wrong, the board I have is the one Musky linked. Supermicro sure don't make the model numbers to remember:(

Hello, world!

I had created a similar thread some time ago with the idea of coming up with a plan to get to 100k PPD for the least amount out of pocket.

Woody

just two words my friend ..

Borgs!!

with permission of course from the borged

Theres a SR2 in the FS/T forums right? look into that, should get you about 100k
I just bought it ;)

You want:...
Then you want to read these:...

Tgo with the H8QGL-iF+ ....
Either board will work, but the GL board appears to deliver more consistent voltage, and can accept an HTX Infiniband card if that ever works out.

Wow. Just.... wow. You guys have truly gone over the top with all the help in this thread. I did wind up going with a used SR2 setup at this time, but having all this information in one place is going to be priceless for myself and (I could only imagine) many others in the future. I'm already planning out a budget for a 4P system, so I really do appreciate all the links and useful infos which everyone has contributed!

My tiny little farm is finally growing :D For the [H]orde!

Woody

Glad you could find what you need, If there's one thing we can help with it's building a farm!

Back