7800x3d build failure - *now working

You have a lot of faith in the qvl list for ram. There have been times when it mattered in the past, but right now not so much. The real kicker is, even if you buy something on the limited qvl, it’s not guaranteed to work. It just means the manufacturer tested it.

If you go out of your way to buy ram on the qvl and it still doesn’t work, the manufacturer doesn’t care. Makes no difference to them. Qvl’s aren’t generally updated especially as time goes on.

I understand it’s a “peace of mind” thing for some people. Can’t say I blame them. It’s not a requirement tho
Thanks for the input. I guess it is a peace of mind thing. Maybe I won't make a big fuss about it and just hope I'm not one of the unlucky ones with the bundled kit. Don't usually give it much thought, just a long drive. But it's a pretty good deal and I like the motherboard features.

Thanks for the input. I guess it is a peace of mind thing. Maybe I won't make a big fuss about it and just hope I'm not one of the unlucky ones with the bundled kit. Don't usually give it much thought, just a long drive. But it's a pretty good deal and I like the motherboard features.
Anecdotal for sure but I’ve built at least 150 personal pc’s for myself since 1994. I’ve never bought based on a qvl, and I’ve never had a ram compatiblity problem. Not once. But I do my research before buying. Same goes for xmp and expo. Almost all new chipsets work with both, if it’s a decent board. Tighter timings, single rank vs dual rank dimms, and the number of sticks (2 vs 4) matter so much more.

And as I said even if you buy off the qvl and have an issue, the board manufacturer will not care and will tell you to a ram issue, and it’s up to you to replace the ram, qvl or not.

But I do entirely understand. Back when Ryzen Gen 1 desktop chips came out, qvl mattered. There have been some very picky CPU’s and northbridges (when the cpu didn’t have a memory controller) in the past. Now it’s more integrated and ryzen compatibility is much much better.

Got an MSI 670e Mag Tomahawk. Good board.

Ram is Corsair 6000 cl 30. Fast timings.

Got a gen 4 SkHynix 2TB nvme

6900xt full custom loop. I had gpu laying around already. It's still a great gpu.

But damn the board takes ages to reboot. I hear this problem is across the whole ryzen 7k line anyways.

I plopped win 11 pro on It. All I care about is games. So 11 it was.

6900xt full custom loop. I had gpu laying around already. It's still a great gpu.

But damn the board takes ages to reboot. I hear this problem is across the whole ryzen 7k line anyways.

look in the bios for a ram option like "use last config", should speed up booting if its got it.

Enjoy the new rig!

How much ram? The boot times stem from memory training and vary by manufacturer and board bios revision. Larger amounts take longer.

Example, 32gb (2x16) of ddr5 took about 50 seconds to boot the first time to anything usable like the bios. After that most boot times were under 10 seconds.

64 gb (4x 16) of the exact same ram. Initial boot took at least 2 minutes to show bios. Then subsequent boot times were around 15 seconds or less.

Both on a gigabyte B650 Aoris Elite mobo.

Then I updated the bios. Initial boot times still were the same but the normal boot times were even faster once the memory has been learned by the bios.

Just some info for you regarding ddr5 and AMD chipsets currently. Intel chips and chipsets also learn the memory but it’s a bit different .

How much ram? The boot times stem from memory training and vary by manufacturer and board bios revision. Larger amounts take longer.

Example, 32gb (2x16) of ddr5 took about 50 seconds to boot the first time to anything usable like the bios. After that most boot times were under 10 seconds.

64 gb (4x 16) of the exact same ram. Initial boot took at least 2 minutes to show bios. Then subsequent boot times were around 15 seconds or less.

Both on a gigabyte B650 Aoris Elite mobo.

Then I updated the bios. Initial boot times still were the same but the normal boot times were even faster once the memory has been learned by the bios.

Just some info for you regarding ddr5 and AMD chipsets currently. Intel chips and chipsets also learn the memory but it’s a bit different .
It's probably training each start. I need to find the setting to lock in the last Good config. I'm just enjoying a micro brewery right now so later.

It's probably training each start. I need to find the setting to lock in the last Good config. I'm just enjoying a micro brewery right now so later.

You want MCR (memory context restore) and power down enabled. Your boot times will be much faster. On my board - the cheapest B650M-HDV that is smaller than a normal mATX board and only has 2 memory slots boots to the desktop in less than 5 seconds with 32GB of DDR5 7600 CL34 with custom timings. Even with 64GB of dual-rank at 6200 it was only around 10 seconds. Without that stuff on it can take it 2-3 minutes.

I got my bundle yesterday. I enabled memory context restore and power down was disabled and it was OK at first. Real fast boot. But after a few restarts while changing settings, my PC would freeze entirely. Even did it in BIOS. Reverted those back to defaults which is auto, which I assume means MCR off and so far it seemed OK. Need to test more. They did give me CL32 ram instead of the cl 36 though for whatever that's worth.

Edit: some claim that having mcr enabled and power down disabled will inevitably cause stability issues so that very well could be user error on my part

Last edited:
I got my bundle yesterday. I enabled memory context restore and power down was disabled and it was OK at first. Real fast boot. But after a few restarts while changing settings, my PC would freeze entirely. Even did it in BIOS. Reverted those back to defaults which is auto, which I assume means MCR off and so far it seemed OK. Need to test more. They did give me CL32 ram instead of the cl 36 though for whatever that's worth.

Edit: some claim that having mcr enabled and power down disabled will inevitably cause stability issues so that very well could be user error on my part
I don't know about your bundled board, but my X670E Steel Legend had a BIOS update that helped with MCR. It may be worth looking to see if your motherboard manufacturer also put one out.

My MSI board doesn't even have MCR option. It has weird MSI settings with stupid names like DDR 5 Turbo Waterjets and PowerDown Hyper Uppercut mode lmao ... it's ridiculous I'll just deal with long reboot times to ensure stability.

Last edited:
Maybe I am late.. for that kit to work correctly, I had to use EXPO II (which does sub timings too I believe?) then it would boot, otherwise I had similar issues. It could also be that your chip simply does not like 6000

That Gskill kit is 99.99% the culprit. EVERYONE has problems with it, why do you think they give it away for free?

Also, yes F21 is the latest BIOS so you might be on the wrong page if you're seeing F3.
I'm running that G.SKILL kit in my build and never had an issue with it.

Maybe I am late.. for that kit to work correctly, I had to use EXPO II (which does sub timings too I believe?) then it would boot, otherwise I had similar issues. It could also be that your chip simply does not like 6000
The chip is fine. I swapped the motherboard with an x670e MSI and it works great now. I am not using XPO, I am using XMP, and running Corsair, Hynix Modules, at cas 30 6000m/t

The system absolutely blazes now. I am still using a 6900xt but my system is fully custom looped. The little x3d can get warm though. At full bore CPU ive seen peaks of 80c under full water but it drops back down to 31c in mere seconds. My GPU at full bore never exceeds 45c using a Corsair Water block on both.

I would like to get a 7900xtx but we are so close to next gen it doesnt really make sense for me. I am going to wait on the 2024 GPU releases and see how well they do. The 6900xt is still a monster of a GPU in its class. I know this is a tangent sorry

Reactions: MrC4
like this
The chip is fine. I swapped the motherboard with an x670e MSI and it works great now. I am not using XPO, I am using XMP, and running Corsair, Hynix Modules, at cas 30 6000m/t

The system absolutely blazes now. I am still using a 6900xt but my system is fully custom looped. The little x3d can get warm though. At full bore CPU ive seen peaks of 80c under full water but it drops back down to 31c in mere seconds. My GPU at full bore never exceeds 45c using a Corsair Water block on both.

I would like to get a 7900xtx but we are so close to next gen it doesnt really make sense for me. I am going to wait on the 2024 GPU releases and see how well they do. The 6900xt is still a monster of a GPU in its class. I know this is a tangent sorry
Well ,glad it worked out :)

Which MSI did you go with as I'm considering a new board with a 5.0X16 but they're quite pricey still? Been looking at the Carbon wifi but waiting to see it get a bit lower in price.

Which MSI did you go with as I'm considering a new board with a 5.0X16 but they're quite pricey still? Been looking at the Carbon wifi but waiting to see it get a bit lower in price.
I got a MSI x670e mag tomhawk
Its very stable and working great. I think I paid like 280 for the board give or take Saturday.
I have a gen4 SSD with full lanes and my 6900xt is also posting with all 16lanes at gen4 so its got plenty of lanes available. Those are version 5 lanes also for the GPU but my card only supports 4.

Also I chose a lesser costing board because a 3d vcache cpu do not overclock well and the 3d cache burns up very fast so I am running everything at stock and just letting the chip manage its own clocks.

Yea still debating the Carbon wifi. Don't need but want it sorta thing. It has 8x8x4 5.0 and that's the only reason I'm considering it at all. My current board is more than sufficient for my needs right now so ....

So what kind of idle temps should these chips be sitting at? What about under normal loads like gaming? And what about balls to the wall 100%?

Just built a system with 7800x3d, ASRock 670x e taichi, 32gb 6400g.skill memory and a 4080 super. I had zero issues. Booted no problem. Running the memory at xmp. It been the most painless build I ever did

My idle temp is 38C gaming usually low to mid 70's. Cinebench at 87 but that's also where I set thermal throttling in bios.

My idle temp is 38C gaming usually low to mid 70's. Cinebench at 87 but that's also where I set thermal throttling in bios.
Ok my temps are the same then ... Im playing Dyson Sphere right now at around 55c CPU and 31c GPU ... but I have a custom loop also with almost 7x120mm double thick of radiators. Left over cooling form my old SLI Threadripper typer builds. I dont do those things anymore though.

That Gskill kit is 99.99% the culprit. EVERYONE has problems with it, why do you think they give it away for free?

Also, yes F21 is the latest BIOS so you might be on the wrong page if you're seeing F3.
I've had 3 sets no issues once I turned on expo. Even got a 64fb cl30 kit later. It's a gigabyte board nuff said...

Sorry to hear about all the issues you had on this build. I'm sure microcenter would of let you build it inside to make sure. I mean I guess I can't speak for Atlanta but here in Michigan they bend over backwards for you. Glad you got it working tho, especially in the trunk. I've heard a lot of memory issues with that cpu/ddr5 6000 combo. It may or may not be the cpu but it seems like that cpu and the boards don't like ddr5 settings especially when they are rated above 4800 when that is just an OC.

I'm coming up on 1 year with the 7800X3D (bought on launch day) and after getting past the initial hiccups I had with EXPO when first building it, it's been an absolutely flawless experience. Can't wait to upgrade to a Zen 5X3D next year but until then I'll be enjoying all of 2024 with this thing just like I did with 2023!

Sorry to hear about all the issues you had on this build. I'm sure microcenter would of let you build it inside to make sure. I mean I guess I can't speak for Atlanta but here in Michigan they bend over backwards for you. Glad you got it working tho, especially in the trunk. I've heard a lot of memory issues with that cpu/ddr5 6000 combo. It may or may not be the cpu but it seems like that cpu and the boards don't like ddr5 settings especially when they are rated above 4800 when that is just an OC.
Thank you for your kind wishes. They were willing to help me build it and make sure it posted but that wasn't good enough for me. My last board would post but then it would boot loop non stop. I knew just posting wasn't enough. I had a preloaded 256gb nvme with win 10 on it. And if I could get it to fully boot and reboot twice in my trunk I was satisfied. Micro didn't want to do anything more than post test.

This new msi x670e tomahawk is working 100% 💪

I'm coming up on 1 year with the 7800X3D (bought on launch day) and after getting past the initial hiccups I had with EXPO when first building it, it's been an absolutely flawless experience. Can't wait to upgrade to a Zen 5X3D next year but until then I'll be enjoying all of 2024 with this thing just like I did with 2023!
That's my plan. Just keep my 670e board and plop new silicon in it. But the 78x3d is so fast already I don't see how 88x3d will make a difference.

...But the 78x3d is so fast already I don't see how 88x3d will make a difference.
Depends on the game, depends on the resolution - as it always has been. I still see some CPU bottlenecking at 4K in Star Citizen with a 4090 and 7800X3D. Not as bad as when I was using a 5800X3D with the same 4090. The 5800X3D and 3090 was a perfect match for 4K at 99% GPU usage almost always.

That's my plan. Just keep my 670e board and plop new silicon in it. But the 78x3d is so fast already I don't see how 88x3d will make a difference.

Most games I am GPU bound but there are some cases where even with a 4090 at 4K, I am actually CPU limited. So if I can score another ~20% performance uplift in those CPU bound scenarios without even needing a new mobo and ram then might as well right?

Most games I am GPU bound but there are some cases where even with a 4090 at 4K, I am actually CPU limited. So if I can score another ~20% performance uplift in those CPU bound scenarios without even needing a new mobo and ram then might as well right?
I notice that games that work on tick rates like Dyson Sphere Program, Captain of Industry, runs like buttery smooth on the 3d vcache compared to a std chip. So much faster when millions of In game calculations per second are occurring.

this seems normal. my MSI board takes like a minute plus to show the boot screen. I've been told its the board figuring out the ram timings?

this seems normal. my MSI board takes like a minute plus to show the boot screen. I've been told its the board figuring out the ram timings?
Yeah it's RAM training. I don't know what MSI calls it but on Asrock there is MCR- Memory Context Restore and enabling this allows a much much quicker POST time.

The downside, you can't run DDR5 with power down disabled if you have MCR enabled. I think this is a bug with AGESA? From my understanding power down isn't really necessary on a desktop and more geared towards laptops and the like and introduces a very minor latency penalty. So when you tune your RAM you have to choose MCR on / power down enabled for quicker POST or MCR off / power down disabled for the best performance. I noticed 2 x 16GB wasn't too bad to POST with MCR disabled, but my goodness 2 x 32GB takes a LONG time to POST. With MCR enabled and either 2 x 16GB or 2 x 32GB my X670E Steel Legend POSTs quick.

Well now my build failed again but not the board cpu or ram sigh ...

My 6900xt shit the bed. It is not even detected by my system anymore. This is a real bummer because now I have to go back to using my laptop for the next 4 to 6 months until we see if AMD is going to release the new RX 8000 series GPU.

My laptop is fine since it does have an AMD 6800h 8 core and an RTX 3070ti in it so it can certainly game quite nicely. Im just bummed because I just got this 7800x3d smoking and my 6900xt was more than enough for now.

A 7900xtx is $1000 at Microcenter, I can easily get one but I dont want to spend 1K on it right now when there is new GPUs potentially around the corner that are possibly way better.

I am typing this on the IGP right now on the 7800x3d and its an absolutely AWFUL igp haha ... good enough to install windows and watch youtube videos barely.

I suppose I knew something wasn't right with the 6900xt for quite some time now. It was glitching a few months ago when I installed it in an older intel Ivy bridge system in a pinch I just needed a video card to install pfsense so I used it. I knew then something wasn't quite right but overlooked it.

Since this system is custom water cooled I have to drain the loop, remove the GPU, air cool the cpu, pull my sons 6700xt gpu, plop it in and make sure my brand new motherboards PCIe slot isnt the culprit. But for now it seems I am going to assume GPU shit a brick.

Well now my build failed again but not the board cpu or ram sigh ...

My 6900xt shit the bed. It is not even detected by my system anymore. This is a real bummer because now I have to go back to using my laptop for the next 4 to 6 months until we see if AMD is going to release the new RX 8000 series GPU.

My laptop is fine since it does have an AMD 6800h 8 core and an RTX 3070ti in it so it can certainly game quite nicely. Im just bummed because I just got this 7800x3d smoking and my 6900xt was more than enough for now.

A 7900xtx is $1000 at Microcenter, I can easily get one but I dont want to spend 1K on it right now when there is new GPUs potentially around the corner that are possibly way better.

I am typing this on the IGP right now on the 7800x3d and its an absolutely AWFUL igp haha ... good enough to install windows and watch youtube videos barely.

I suppose I knew something wasn't right with the 6900xt for quite some time now. It was glitching a few months ago when I installed it in an older intel Ivy bridge system in a pinch I just needed a video card to install pfsense so I used it. I knew then something wasn't quite right but overlooked it.

Since this system is custom water cooled I have to drain the loop, remove the GPU, air cool the cpu, pull my sons 6700xt gpu, plop it in and make sure my brand new motherboards PCIe slot isnt the culprit. But for now it seems I am going to assume GPU shit a brick.
Is the 6900 out of warranty?

Damn, that blows.
Rdna 4 is about to drop soon. Ill.wait till then really before I replace this gpu. Over on video cards it's being reported AMD is doing all kinds of Linux validations so I think we're mere months away from a launch.

Back