7800x3d build failure - *now working

Since this system is custom water cooled I have to drain the loop, remove the GPU, air cool the cpu, pull my sons 6700xt gpu, plop it in and make sure my brand new motherboards PCIe slot isnt the culprit.

I would check the 6900 in his machine too. I had a 980ti that did the same thing but worked fine on another system. Long shot, but worth it.

A 7900xtx is $1000 at Microcenter, I can easily get one but I dont want to spend 1K on it right now when there is new GPUs potentially around the corner that are possibly way better.

According to leaks, the 8000 series will be more like a refresh with mid-range chips only, getting performance around the 7800 to 7900XT, and likely not beating the 7900XTX. Though with a lower power draw and a monolithic design.

Rdna 4 is about to drop soon. Ill.wait till then really before I replace this gpu. Over on video cards it's being reported AMD is doing all kinds of Linux validations so I think we're mere months away from a launch.

Less than a year away for sure but it could still be 6-8 months out and that's a long time to go without a GPU.

how have you confirmed the gpu is dead?
The board slots are fine. My son's 6600xt works fine in the same slot the 6900xt was in. The 6900xt has a waterblock on it. I do not feel like putting the air cooler back on. I think there is enough metallic mass to sustain idle operations long enough to power it up and get a signal off of it to my sons monitor. I will update later if anyone cares.

should be fine with no load on it.
Card is done for. Its totally braindead. So not sure what I want to get a 7900xtx or some kind of nVidia thing.

I tried the 6900xt in my sons rig just to eliminate if it was my system and its no go ... I get the usual missing GPU beeps from cmos, I have an actual 4 pin speaker hooked up haha old school but nothing like those diagnostic beeps!

So here is to another freaking 9-hour day to drive to Microcenter and back to get a GPU. I don't trust Newegg unless you convince me otherwise. All I hear is horror stories about that company.

Last edited:
I've never had any trouble with Newegg directly (that I can remember). Might be worth a shot versus the travel unless you don't have the time to wait for shipping.

I've never had any trouble with Newegg directly (that I can remember). Might be worth a shot versus the travel unless you don't have the time to wait for shipping.
I have time. Thats not a worry. I am looking at an Asrock liquid cooled 7900xtx right now, if anything just because it has a warranty from the factory with a waterblock on it. It cost about the same at the end of the day to order another card and a separate waterblock but this way its actually covered. I enjoy watercooling because of how quiet I can make it compared to a leaf blower of a GPU as well as the cooling potential is much higher. When looking at my 6900xt ot wasnt water that killed it. I think a component just went bad. It was a slow degradation, not artifacting, but just acting funny when starting computer etc... I noticed it of course after my extended warranty ran out. Also being a powercolor reference card there is no way I can warranty a card that I blocked up with a Corsair waterblock. They would be able to tell instantly.

If it's still under the regular warranty period they might be willing to take an RMA anyway? I can't speak for Newegg's return policy, I've never needed to make one but, it looks okay.

I don't trust Newegg unless you convince me otherwise. All I hear is horror stories about that company.
Small fries, but I have ~3-4k in parts ordered over the last several months without a single issue. Just ordered a 4080 Super Master as well yesterday, everything looking good so far.

Small fries, but I have ~3-4k in parts ordered over the last several months without a single issue. Just ordered a 4080 Super Master as well yesterday, everything looking good so far.
Ok that is good to know. They d9 have a gpu Inwant to order pretty bad. Can't find it elsewhere.

Asrock

Back