Zyxel Users?

marley1

Supreme [H]ardness
I know a few others here use Zyxel. How is the paid content filter? Can you link to active directory? I need to be able to filter by users.

And are you using the utm ones or just usg?

I think all I'd want is the content filtering and antivirus.

I generally use the usg models and the other cheap one, they work great, but I don't have experience with the modules.

Content filtering is quite good. Yes you can authenticate via AD.
I've only used the USG series. The UTMs havent had their internals upgraded in years.

I would be careful with your performance expectations with both AV and CF enabled. (look at UTM throughput on the document below when matching expected performance to your data pipe) CF doesn't hit the cpu much but enabling AV does. So when they say the USG100 is fine for 25 people they are assuming you are enabling everything. AND it will run...but the throughput will be about 24mbps WAN-LAN with everything enabled. Turning off IDP will double the WAN-LAN throughput to about 40mbps.

As a VPN device the USG series rocks. You can even use the paid CF without much of a slow down.

It all comes down to what data pipe you are connected to. If you have a 10mbit connection it doesn't matter. But if you have a 50mbit connection you need to make sure you select the correct model. The USG 1000 is the first major jump in CPU power where the throughput is much higher at a rated load.

But their competitive selection document is fairly unbiased: http://us.zyxel.com/PDF/ZyWALL_Competitive_Model_Matrix_v3.pdf

Back