ZyXEL 623R-T1 + webserver possible?

Big P

Weaksauce
Hi,

I dont know if anyone here has a Prestiege 623R-T1ADSL Modem/Router here, but maybe you have onbe of its brother/sister routers.

Well anyway Im having terrible trouble trying to get a web server set up to run with it. By default all access is block to your PC. So I enabled remote access management to the WAN, and so I can now login to my router externally via either ftp/telnet or the web based interface.
Unfortunitly Apache, which I use as a web server is invisible to it. So I set external management to use the port say :7777 to access the router web based interface. That now works, but still I get a typical connection problem trying to access :80, or any other port for that matter,

In my SUA properties I set the port 80 open also, and set the IP as 192.168.1.33 which is what I use for all my programs like azureus to connect to people. But, still it wont work.

Has anyone got any idea what I can do to get it to work so I can also have outside access to my webserver? Oh and 127.0.0.1 works for my apache server, but nothing else.

Well, first things first: Disable WAN access to your router's config interface. That's just asking for trouble.

Anyway, the first thing that jumps out at me is "Apache only works on 127.0.0.1" If you don't have it working on your internal IP (192.168.1.33, I guess) then it's an Apache config problem.

The next thing is checking whether your ISP allows servers. Many don't, and they often back up that policy by blocking port 80 on their end, which would prevent the router's port forwarding by accomplishing much.

Once those are clear, though, it's just a matter of opening the port as you've described.

Yeah disable wan access.

Are you running your web server on your computer? Can you get to it from the local ip address of the server ?

Also you wont be able to get to the server via your external ip address from inside your network or any domain name bound to it unless you have a dns server running on your network, making the domain a loopback. Both of these are a limitation of NAT. Try going to a computer out side of your network or give someone your ip address and see if they can get to it.

Thanks for the replys.

Well here's a bit of information about how the layout is currently:

PC Internal IP Address: 192.168.2.33
My DHCP, DNS and Default Gateway are: 192.168.2.1
Apache Listening Port 80 on 127.0.0.1

Therefore my router is actually doing everything for me. DHCP is enabled and my external IP changes on every restart of my router.

As you said lomn75, if my site didnt work off 192.168.2.33 I had a config problem. So I edited httpd.conf and set the server to Listen on port 80 of 192.168.2.33
So, I could now see my webserver internally from that address.

Now, back to the remote access part, in my routers settings I am able to set the port it listens on for the web based interface. By default its port 80, which should mean my ISP dont block port 80. I was successfully able to change this to, say 8888 and then go to:
myexternalip:8888, and access that interface.

So, what is my next step? How do I get my external IP to go to my internal IP? ie. externalip -> 192.168.2.33 which is where server is located..

Thanks again!

change the listening port to 192.168.2.33:81 then forward port 81 from your router to 192.168.2.33

you have it set so its listening in on local host but obviously its not going to initiate a connection with itself :)

also do like some one else said, disable wan mangament, this way your router can only be configured from your LAN using 192.168.2.1

Back