• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Zune interface question

TheBlank

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
164
I posted this in a thread warning about the zune software. Perhaps that wasn't the best place to start and hope for quick replies.

In any case, here's my question. I've had an Iriver IHP-120 for several years now, and it's been an amazing player. However, it's hard drive randomly decided to detatch itself. Needless to say, it's time for a replacement. I don't need anything more than 12 hours of playtime as I'm never far away from a charger. Video playback isn't really an issue, so I'm seriously considering a Zune.

However, I never used the Iriver software to interface with my Iriver. I have thousands of personally ripped mp3s that I don't want to have to redownload if the Zune software refuses to recognize them because I didn't "buy them from zune". Is there a way to use the zune as a removable hard drive interface, and is there any danger that using the software will render my previous mp3's unloadable.

I haven't found any comments or reviews that address this. This is the dealbreaker for getting the zune.

Thanks.
 
Zune will work fine with your ripped music collection. It doesn't add any DRM to anything you own. It simply won't use any DRMd song unless it came from the Zune store.

Zune can't be used as an external hard drive. You can, however sync music from your Zune to your PC.
 
Thanks for the help! Got to handle one the other day, the interface seems snappy and quite enjoyable.

Just wish I could still use it has a hard drive too. I guess it's a give and take. Too bad the new Irivers just aren't up to par anymore.
 
Im sure it wont take to long... Some one will make a work around to access the Zune's hard drive directly.
 
TheBlank said:
Just wish I could still use it has a hard drive too. I guess it's a give and take. Too bad the new Irivers just aren't up to par anymore.

QFT. If the Zune didn't have those few niggling issues, I'd consider it. It looks quite decent.

As it is, I'm just making sure I'm taking really good care of my H340 (with Rockbox!). :p
 
I've been researching around on the Zune forums, and it seems a couple of hacks are in the works right now.. and some are already successful. Some guys on the Zune boards got the hard drive data storage feature to work with other types of files, another group of modders are working on complete hacked firmware that disables the 3-play only thing when other users wifi transfer you their music, larger hard drive support (40gb, 60gb, 80gb) --already available, and longer battery life --already available.

With all the hacks coming out for this thing, and its only a few days old, I think I might get one of these.. it looks very promising.

To check out a site that is already offering upgrades, go here. They will have a TON more in the next few weeks.
http://www.ipodmods.com/shop/microsoft-zune-parts.html
 
i <3 Modders....its guys/girls like these that might make me buy a zune and then get new firmware so i can play any type of file i want to on the zune....<3 Modders keep up the good work!
 
Eragon Dragonslayer said:
i <3 Modders....its guys/girls like these that might make me buy a zune and then get new firmware so i can play any type of file i want to on the zune....<3 Modders keep up the good work!
as-is, right now you can already play any type file, you just re-encode it to format suitable for playing on the zune. If you have DRM content, you just remove the DRM protection. =)
 
Back
Top