Zune 80 died, recommend me a replacement

Bohica69

Gawd
That is NOT an iPod... Ideally it would be a simple player, and like the zune have video output via the headphone jack, I have the zune video cable wired into my head unit into my car, and would like to continue to use it (if possible).

Any suggestions? Would like at least 64 gigs.

Thanks.

The international version of the Samsung Galaxy S phone has video output by headphone jack. Just get a used one and a big SD card.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I still use my Zune HD because of the subscription. I love having access to unlimited songs.

only problem with using a smart phone if hes playing back video off a micro sd card hes gonna get some lag the sd cards arent fast enough for smooth playback.

OP here: I have a Droid Charge. Problem is: It does video playback via HDMI - NOT via the headphone jack as the Zune does. Unless someone can show me otherwise.

only problem with using a smart phone if hes playing back video off a micro sd card hes gonna get some lag the sd cards arent fast enough for smooth playback.

Essentially any actual class 6 or above microsd can do HD video just fine. :rolleyes:

you could get a smartphone with a bad esn off of ebay and throw a good sized microsd card in it

Probably not compatible with your video cable, but the Samsung Galaxy players are nice PMP's. I have the 4.2 and like it a lot.

Ebay: BAD ESN
>Find a good looking phone supporting SDHC for $75~
>Buy a SDHC 64Gb for around $50.
>Cute, fancy 64gb iPod wannabe for only $125.

DO NOT USE ANY HTC phone as ur next mp3 player...

very very low max volume output... nearly universally across the board on all their phones...

I know you said you want to keep a zune, but maybe look into getting a used ipod and Rockboxing it? Would be able to play Flac files (Unlike the zune Firmware) and wouldn't have the iPod firmware on there. Just something I stumbled on when my zune died a few years ago.

Ended up buying a Samsung Mesmerize (Galaxy) with a 32gb SD card and installed a custom ROM for Rootzwiki.

very very low max volume output... nearly universally across the board on all their phones...
If you have a HTC phone, read up on it in the Rootzwiki forum. Chances are if a developer saw it as a issue, they integrated some way to adjust it into a rom (I'm saying this because on the ROM i'm using, the developer integrated a kernel to adjust the volume output up to 5x)

Last edited:
i can vouch for using an 5th gen video ( iirc its a video) with rockbox. It works great.

I use line out to a fiio amp to my ath-m50's

Would rockbox support audio over usb and still let my kenwood hd548 control it with the remote.

If so, I would love to know if it would bypass my kenwoods DAC which is limited to 320kbps max, and allow it to play flac over usb

Just wonderin'

I don't know about that... my HTC Titan gets loud enough where it would hurt my ears/be unbearable.

As for OP's original question, I assume you want to continue to use your Zune pass? Completely understandable as it's a great deal and entirely awesome imo. LMK as I have a Zune HD 32GB I never use since I moved to a WP7 device. Will let go for decent price.

Otherwise, the phone with bad ESN is a good idea, but not sure I'd be willing to deal with the extra bulk over a Zune HD which imo is the best "MP3 player" ever designed.

That is NOT an iPod... Ideally it would be a simple player, and like the zune have video output via the headphone jack, I have the zune video cable wired into my head unit into my car, and would like to continue to use it (if possible).

Any suggestions? Would like at least 64 gigs.

Thanks.

The odds are the Hard Drive in the Zune died. They are available and replaceable.

Just a thought:)

Back