Zune 120 GB

RyanGSams

[H]ard|Gawd
First off, I was lost as to what sub-forum this would go in...

My buddy brought a 120 gb Microsoft Zune to me today. It is saying Error: 5 Contact support. I tried doing the reformat trick but to no avail as it still says that. Its the model 1376, i believe its the older version (non-HD).

I am wondering if there are any tricks/tips you all know that could help me fix this?

I read up that if those didn't work i will probably have to send it in to service or get a new harddrive.

Thanks in advance.

I think this thread would be more appropriate in the "Computer & Gadgets" sub-forum.

IIRC, Error 5 is pretty much the screen of death and you would need to send it in.

Error 5 typically means a Hard Drive head crash. Listen to the HDD as it tries to boot up. If you hear a clicking noise, it definitely is.

Agreed with the other posters, it's more than likely the hard drive having toasted itself for whatever reason. If you power it up and hold it next to your ear and hear click-click-click instead of a "normal" startup sequence of the whirring of the hard drive with some minor random clicks (fainter in volume), it's the drive.

Doesn't mean it's "dead" altogether, however - replacing the hard drive will bring it right back to life, basically. If the guy doesn't want to spend money on it, I'd be happy to take it off his hands... :D

Hard drive making a clicking sound...so replacing the HDD would fix it?

Anybody know where i can get a 120 gig hard drive? I found one for 100 dollars. They are obviously not a regular hard drive which is pretty stupid.

Last edited:
Well, it's a 1.8" ZIF PATA drive, so they're not cheap. It's not a laptop drive inside that thing - the one in there is about the size of a pack of matches so yeah, it's a bit more customized and more costly.

eBay is probably the best source for a replacement.

Ok, well does the type matter? I found one on ebay for 70ish but it has an apple logo...

EBAY

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Shouldn't matter at all as long as the drive fits the 1.8" PATA spec and uses the ZIF (Zero Insertion Force, meaning it's a slide in/clamp down locking mechanism) connector. That one looks like exactly what's needed.

When it's installed in the Zune, the first time it fires up it'll complain about the drive not working and then you attach it to the PC running the Zune software and it'll handle the reformatting/etc from that point on.

One tip that I'll offer: don't buy anything from any eBay seller that's not based in the US and ships from a US address. I've had nothing but horror stories from US sellers that drop ship hardware from Hong Kong (like that one does that you linked with) - you are infinitely better off buying from a US seller (I'm assuming you're here in the US someplace) that also ships direct from the US as well.

This link is to one that's even cheaper than the one you found and is shipped from Pennsylania - considerably cheaper... :)

And also realize you don't have to get a 120GB replacement: you can drop an 80GB in there, 60GB, 30GB, etc... or go higher with a 160GB or 240GB if you're so inclined, it's all the same to the Zune - the software will just format it as required based on the capacity of the drive.

The Apple logo just means it was designed as a direct replacement for an iPod (an actual Apple part, the same drive that comes in a 120GB iPod Classic). Brand doesn't matter, what it was designed for (the device) doesn't matter: it's a 120GB 1.8" PATA ZIF hard drive, that's all that counts.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back