ZR30w Sucks!

Luck of the draw my friend. I ordered myself a Dell U3011 and I have zero problems, while I've heard several [H] members specifically had issues with stuck pixels. I have no complains obviously but these things just happen. I would recommend the U3011 to anybody in an instant heartbeat while I'm sure there are others who would lead towards the HP model instead... Just luck of the draw...

Got the 5th one. Verdict is a few stuck pixels.

Seriously, f*ck this monitor. I'm willing to bet that almost all of them have at least one stuck pixel. With over 4 million pixels and the quality control of a budget LCD you're bound to have issues.

That being said, I'm keeping it. These pixels don't stand out nearly as much as the other monitors. In fact when I first put on a black background I couldn't immediately see any. I had to trace my finger up and down the monitor with my face like 3 inches away from it to just to find them.

Sorry for being combative earlier in this thread. But I seriously believe this is one of the best monitors out there. Mine has one stuck pixel, but I honestly have a hard time finding it even when I am purposely looking for it. No reason at all for me to play the RMA game. Look past the few stuck pixels, with this pixel density you will forget they are even there. Yes for the price it should be perfect, but nothing in this world is ever perfect no matter the cost.

Explain to me something. If you guarantee that your exquisite $1200 display has ZERO bright dots, then why don't you have a QA team verify it before packing it up?

2nd ZR30w now. Returned the first due to a bright green pixel. Just turned on the new one, and within one minute of putting on a black background, I count no less than 7 bright pixels, and one dead (black) pixel. What a high quality product!

So what now? I file a 2nd case and wait for a 3rd monitor to be shipped? Then what happens when I find dead/stuck pixels on that one? Sooo frustrated right now. :mad:

Look it's always a gamble when you get hardware. That isn't exclusive to monitors. It could be RAM, CPUs, Videocards etc etc. Just RMA it till you get a satisfactory monitor. I do have one minor defect pixel. It's on the upper right on my ZR30w. It responds to black but it goes in an active red pixel when the removed from the black background. I also got my EDID info on my monitor and it's only three weeks old from when I placed my order. I've read people RMA ZR30w that got even worse replacement or they even state it felt like a refurbished monitor. I've owned NEC and HP monitors. I always have atleast one dead or non functional pixel. I've never had more than one since I started owning LCD monitors. My Sony GDM-F500R was the best monitor I have ever used.

It's your money and you keep RMAing till you are satisfied. This monitor has been good to me. Never gave me an issues and worked perfectly from day one. I can live with one faulty pixel on this 30 inch which I can not even notice. If it was in the middle of the screen that would drive me crazy.

my zr30w got one red pixel. it's only seen on dark background if you look really close. it's also on upper right corner, so can't even notice it. Didn't even bother with returning the monitor.

Dude that's exactly what I have. But my stuck pixel responds to black and it switches to red when I remove the black background. I wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't using office in a pure white background and I somehow glanced at the corner of the screen.

Got a used one off Ebay for $900 shipped 6-7 months ago and haven't seen any stuck or overly bright pixels so far. As someone said, it's the luck of the draw. :confused:

So you expect all 4+ million pixels to be perfect?

I can't stand idiotic posts like this. To answer the question, I would absolutely expect all pixels to be perfect.

Secondly, even considering six sigma standards of 99.99966% or about 3.4 defects per million opportunities, that would leave you with 13.93 pixels having the possibility of deemed "acceptably defective". I find this incredibly unacceptable for the application of the product. Why? Simple. At the size and cost of this monitor, I would expect it to be used in highly critical situations, wouldn't you? Imagine this monitor is being used in a hospital to view MRIs, etc. What do you think would happen if eight dead pixels, or even a single dead pixel was mistaken for a tumor or vice versa? Either way, somebody's fucked. Sure, if this was your average ASUS I wouldn't expect perfection, but even then I would still absolutely expect a perfect screen. It's like scratching 99.99966% of the paint on the hood of a red Ferrari. Trust me, you'll notice it - and I guarantee you that Ferrari wouldn't be paid for in full.

On top of that, I am sure most monitor manufacturers don't even practice six sigma. Perhaps going by five sigma standards of 99.8% error free, this would allow for 8,192 defects, in this case dead pixels. Good luck with that. My company practices five sigma and we are very proud of it. However, if we manufactured displays with 8,192 dead pixels, I can tell you with utmost certainty that we wouldn't even exist.

Monitors hold higher standards than most. The display isn't even the only consideration. There's an inverter, a panel, a bezel, a power supply, inputs, outputs, and many other aspects that must also be accounted for. A perfect pixel display doesn't get you off the hook if the entire top of the monitor is white, does it?

For what you pay, especially with the guarantee from the company which whom most offer a free replacement for a single dead pixel or defect, I would continue to return this until you get a perfectly satisfactory one or until you are sick of getting defective replacements (ahem, Dell).

Last edited:
Yeah but how many times am I going to do this? It's not exactly easy to continually pack and unpack 30" monitors and waste time and gas driving back and forth to the UPS store. When do I give up? If this one had 7, and my other one had at least 1 that I know of, then I'm not holding much hope for the next one. I'm just saying, for $1200, they should at least power them on and have a QA employee look at a black background. Literally takes less than a minute to detect a bright pixel. I bet they think that the average consumer won't see or complain about bright dots, so they don't give a sh*t about shipping defective monitors.

As a comment to this post, please don't whine - not to be offensive. If you don't want to continue with them, then ask for a full refund. They will give you one if it's proven defective, which I would expect.

I unpacked 8 NECs, 6 U2410s, 3 AW2310s and I still haven't got one that I will keep yet. I'm particular but I'm with you, I expect the best for the price I pay.

I just got my 4th one. It has a tiny stuck subpixel at the rightmost edge of the screen. So tiny in fact that I don't notice it at all unless I really get close. Also, there is a little piece of dust/debris stuck under the screen that appears as a dull gray spot on a bright background.

I just can't win. You know what though, I'm keeping it. Even with these tiny defects it is 100% better than the other ones (which appeared to have FULL pixel defects).

I apologize for the thread title. I was in rage mode. It should be "HP Quality Control Sucks", or "LG Quality Control Sucks" (it is an LG panel, right?). For them to continually send out defective units to me makes zero sense.

Fairly certain it's replacement only.

Got the 5th one. Verdict is a few stuck pixels.

Seriously, f*ck this monitor. I'm willing to bet that almost all of them have at least one stuck pixel. With over 4 million pixels and the quality control of a budget LCD you're bound to have issues.

That being said, I'm keeping it. These pixels don't stand out nearly as much as the other monitors. In fact when I first put on a black background I couldn't immediately see any. I had to trace my finger up and down the monitor with my face like 3 inches away from it to just to find them.

Jaguax: 0
HP: 1

Please don't let them win.

I'll tell you right now I would be returning that piece of shit until they get it right. After 6-8 times (seems to be my limit) I would have them supply me with a full refund and move on.

If you're lucky, they'll screw up their deliveries so bad you can keep one and they'll have no clue. ^_^

Last edited:
... And my nightmare continues.

Monitor is taking 5+ minutes to turn on during a cold start. Must be an internal capacitor issue or something because once "warmed up" it turns on right away.

Soooo, it's going back. I would NEVER recommend one of these monitors after this. What a joke.

Sorry for the fourth post.

I felt the same way with NEC and Dell. Dell ships UPS and they have perfect panel uniformity in terms of backlight. Unfortunately, I now notice that all the panels have a disgusting yellow/red tint. Dell also has a higher likelihood to have dead or stuck pixels as they have similar QC to HP.

NEC I had mostly backlight problems (mostly...) but the colors and pixels were typically flawless. NEC ships FedEx near me. I think the FedEx around my house is terrible. I have a documented case of them dropping my NEC as well. I was told they are drop-tested but I don't think they're "abuse proof".

How are you having them shipped? Overnight? Ground? UPS? FedEx?

Last edited:
Sorry for the fourth post.

I felt the same way with NEC and Dell. Dell ships UPS and they have perfect panel uniformity in terms of backlight. Unfortunately, I now notice that all the panels have a disgusting yellow/red tint. Dell also has a higher likelihood to have dead or stuck pixels as they have similar QC to HP.

NEC I had mostly backlight problems (mostly...) but the colors and pixels were typically flawless. NEC ships FedEx near me. I think the FedEx around my house is terrible. I have a documented case of them dropping my NEC as well. I was told they are drop-tested but I don't think they're "abuse proof".

How are you having them shipped? Overnight? Ground? UPS? FedEx?

They ship the replacements overnight, which is nice. Even though my current ZR30w has 2 or 3 stuck pixels, they are absolutely microscopic and somehow much less visible than the other 4 monitors I had. On a black background in a pitch black room I can't even see them unless I really get close and scan every millimeter of the panel. That's acceptable to me because I'll never see them under normal viewing distance.

If I ship it back I can almost guarantee you the replacement will be worse. That's the luck I've been having. Although it has less to do with luck and more to do with sh*tty panel quality. And the time and gas I waste loading a huge box into my tiny car and driving to and from the UPS store is not worth it anymore.

What amazes me is how every time somebody had a legitimate complaint about something, there has to be a group of contradictory people tell the poster how he shouldn't care and just get over it.

Here's hoping they never hear a cardiologist say, "Well, I got it mostly right!" ;)

They ship the replacements overnight, which is nice. Even though my current ZR30w has 2 or 3 stuck pixels, they are absolutely microscopic and somehow much less visible than the other 4 monitors I had. On a black background in a pitch black room I can't even see them unless I really get close and scan every millimeter of the panel. That's acceptable to me because I'll never see them under normal viewing distance.

If I ship it back I can almost guarantee you the replacement will be worse. That's the luck I've been having. Although it has less to do with luck and more to do with sh*tty panel quality. And the time and gas I waste loading a huge box into my tiny car and driving to and from the UPS store is not worth it anymore.

A pixel isn't microscopic if you can see it with the naked eye, kind sir. ;)

Whatever you deem acceptable for your $1,200 investment is perfectly acceptable to me. Just keep in mind that this is an investment. Three years down the line will these dead pixels bother you? What about five years? What if the pixels begin to spread? These are the questions I ask myself. If one area of the panel is defective, I would think there is more of a likelihood of something else going wrong in the future. How about this question. What if somebody offered you to trade the exact same display except with a pristine screen and no uniformity or panel issues. Would you take it?

If you say yes, then guess what, send it back because that's exactly the privilege you have right now with HP.

However, let me also say that I understand your shitty luck. Trust me. I have been through worse in the past month. I still feel the same way about my next monitor. I always expect that it will be better than the next but I scan the monitor and something always goes wrong. You finally get that beautiful panel uniformity you were looking for but the monitor is buzzing. You finally get a white screen without any tint but there's a dead pixel. I mean the possibilities are endless.

Regardless, if you are not completely happy with your current display, you won't be happy in a month or a year. You will always second guess your purchase and wish you had spent the extra time to get the one that was just right. If that never happens, then clearly HP isn't the way to go.

Either way, if you believe $1,200 justifies what you purchased, then so be it and good luck. If it was me and I was sick of doing the UPS thing, I would have the thing refunded and find something else, just as I am doing with Dell.

What new 30" IPS are you going to get for less than ~ $1200? Aren't the NEC 30" models twice that?

I always owned crap TN screens and no one of them had dead or bright pixels, and these 1.2k screens have dead pixels in quite high density and affecting too many of shipped monitors, that's sad.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Never had any dead pixels of any sort on the first shipment.

Back