ZR2740W vs. Glossy IPS?

Hey guys,

It's time for a monitor upgrade before Guild Wars 2 gets here, and also as my S27A750D is already starting to have problems.

I've been looking at the Korean 27" IPS panels, my main interest being their glossy panel, as I'm currently on a glossy panel, and don't know if I can go back to the grainy coating of AG. However, their increase in price, paired with QC problems, dead pixel policies, and other problems are making them unattractive.
I've done a fair bit of research, and I'm fairly sure the HP ZR2740W is my best option at the moment in AG IPS panels, but I'm looking for some more direction on glossy / semi-glossy 27" panels. I want brilliant colour calibration, as well as decent black levels (The ZR2740W manages ~750:1).

Thanks guys

Samsung s27a850d is semi glossy. No sense in punishing your eyes with the HP's extreme grain. If you have 1200$ you can get the glossy/glass Samsung S27B970D.

HP ZR2740w manufactured in 2012 is semi-glossy. Coating is very similar to Samsung S27A850D. The panel in this monitor is completely new.

My (hopefully in-depth) review of "2012 HP ZR2740w" with semi-glossy IPS:
http://extrahardware.cnews.cz/test-hp-zr2740w-ips-semi-matte-glossy-2012-review

interesting news. did you /can you take the screen apart and identify the panel part being used on this new edition? the old version was using the LM270WQ1-SDDA so would be interesting to know if that has been changed, or if they've just altered the AG coating?

It's not possible. I borrowed this ZR2740w from e-shop (Alfa.cz, and just returned it).
Local HP has probably still same old sample from July 2011.

Another interesting fact: when I reviews first ZR2740w (matte) before the end of 2011, specification says max. brightness: 380 cd/m2. But this old LM270WQ1-SDDA reached 500 cd/m2 (pretty unique). So the specification counted with new model (this one was manufactured in January 2012).

Google Translate is capable to translate most of sentences from Czech to English. And you should be able with such translation (together with charts, tables, screenshots and photos) to understand the most important facts.

It's not even close to being semi-glossy. In the review on that Czech site there is a link to a thread in this forum with how to remove the AG coating. The AG is very grainy.

OMG. I'm the reviewer (author) :) The link is related to the old version of ZR2740w. Just check the photos right in the first chapter (and those reflections).

Smart enough to recognize glossy, semi-glossy, matte (grainy) coating. Hope so :-D

This is fantastic news for serious gamers since the ZR27440w has lower input lag than the S27A850D & U2713.

HP ZR2740w manufactured in 2012 is semi-glossy. Coating is very similar to Samsung S27A850D. The panel in this monitor is completely new.

My (hopefully in-depth) review of "2012 HP ZR2740w" with semi-glossy IPS:
http://extrahardware.cnews.cz/test-hp-zr2740w-ips-semi-matte-glossy-2012-review

I read the Google Translated version but I'm sure I'm not getting the full detail so I'm going straight to the source :) I'm ok with matte or semi-glossy so I don't care about that. What I do care about is the OSD. Reviews on the old ZR2740w state that it doesn't have an OSD, but I see that you're using HP Display Assistant to make settings changes. Are there RGB sliders to change color calibration on the monitor? I have a color calibration device (Spyder) but I've always used them on monitors with RGB sliders, so I've avoided the ZR2740w since it doesn't have an OSD and nobody answered my question when I asked how people calibrate if there are no RGB sliders. Any experience you can share on how exactly you do that would be appreciated.

I read the Google Translated version but I'm sure I'm not getting the full detail so I'm going straight to the source :) I'm ok with matte or semi-glossy so I don't care about that. What I do care about is the OSD. Reviews on the old ZR2740w state that it doesn't have an OSD, but I see that you're using HP Display Assistant to make settings changes. Are there RGB sliders to change color calibration on the monitor? I have a color calibration device (Spyder) but I've always used them on monitors with RGB sliders, so I've avoided the ZR2740w since it doesn't have an OSD and nobody answered my question when I asked how people calibrate if there are no RGB sliders. Any experience you can share on how exactly you do that would be appreciated.

You can use the software provided by your video card manufacturer, I know for a fact through catalyst you can change colors, with just as many options as an OSD. Also, an OSD generally adds processing time(input lag/response time), making it less ideal for gaming, but usually not an issue. Although I've never used an OSD-less monitor to know the real difference.

Last edited:
Can any sources confirm the AG change?
Is there a way to ensure you're buying the new revision?

HP ZR2740w manufactured in 2012 is semi-glossy.
If it's semi-glossy, shouldn't you be able to read the label in the reflection?
My current HP LP2065 seems to have the same kind of reflections and I don't like the AG on it.

The ZR2740w is "neutral" in my opinion. Not glossy, not matte.

Your local Microcenter should have one set up (or the ZR2440w, the smaller version) and you can judge for yourself. I don't think it's aggressive AG at all.

There is HP display software you can install to give you all the OSD options and then some. It's fairly light-weight.

The ZR2740w is "neutral" in my opinion. Not glossy, not matte.

Your local Microcenter should have one set up (or the ZR2440w, the smaller version) and you can judge for yourself. I don't think it's aggressive AG at all.

When did you buy it?

I don't live in the USA so I don't have a local Microcenter.
I still haven't found anyone that can confirm the AG change for this HP... :(

Last edited:
When did you buy it?

I don't live in the USA so I don't have a local Microcenter.
I still haven't found anyone that can confirm the AG change for this HP... :(

I sent an email to HP Tech Support asking them if there was a change and if so, when.

Please do share with us if there was a change once they reply to you.

I finally talked to someone in Business Tech Support. He did not know and said they do not get that information if they are sourcing different panels now- he only could verify that the "specs" had not changed which does not really address if they are using a different panel or AG coating.

Maybe someone here has a contact inside HP and can get an answer.

Last edited:
Very good. Now the only 'problem' is that the Dell is 500 euro and this HP is 600 euro in the Netherlands.

Call HP, I bet you can get a deal. Calling and requesting a new unit is likely the only way to make sure you get a new one.

Back