ZR24W or wait?

I've read the forum here and I'm sold on the ZR24W for its 16:10 ratio and its IPS color gamut. My questions is whether or not I should wait 3 or 4 months until another version is released with better specs (not sure what these specs would be?). Is something slated to come out which will trump this display in this price range?

The ZR24w should be around for a while. The newest IPS offerings are 16:9 white LED panels. see NEC EA232WMi.

What would you say is the % of buyers receiving a zr24w panel which has a defect (back light bleed, tinting, dead pixels)? It's hard to tell after reading the forums. Also, where is the best place to purchase the monitor in case there is an issue which warrants a return / exchange?

Thank you for your help!

The defect rate is a good question that I would like to know the answer to as well. I can't answer that except to note that most monitor users are going to silently use the monitor without providing feedback except in the case where they have identified a defect.

As for your second question: I can't help. I live in Australia.

Go for it. There's nothing in the pipe at 1920x1200 / 24" for quite a while so far as we know, and any improvement in the mid range is going to be minor at best..

Also, where is the best place to purchase the monitor in case there is an issue which warrants a return / exchange?

Was wondering this myself... I was just going to buy it from Amazon... But it's sold there by a company called "onSale" and not Amazon itself.

There is nothing to wait for. Buy now and get the most out of it.

If anything people are going to miss the 16:10 sRGB option when it disappears.

At 23/24 range best price /performance is found at the Dell U2311.
But for 16:10 the ZR24W is the one.
Both sitting in front of me, the HP has slightly better off axis viewing with less red hue in lower corners.

Even if a defective panel arrives, HP is prompt to replace panel swiftly. This happened in my case where after a couple of weeks the monitor would not show any image as if it was on standby, although the blue led was on.
Got it replaced within a day.

I bought 2 of these a couple weeks before Christmas; one for my girlfriend and one for myself. We have both been really happy with them. The viewing angles aren't as good as on her old BenQ MVA panel, but they are so much better than any TN you can get. We calibrated using tftcentral's settings and icc profile and it looks very good with very decent black level. This is the first LCD I have kept hooked to my gaming PC for more than a few days without returning to my hulking 22" CRT. It definitely doesn't have the refresh rate or response time of a CRT, but they are decent and the colors are just as good and the black level may be better in a lit room.

We ended up with perfect samples; no dead/stuck pixels and even backlighting. I ordered through CDW for their return policy although I have seen conflicting reports about the no questions asked exchange.

If 16:10 1920x1200 is what you want, no point in waiting IMO. It is highly unlikely a replacement will be out in 3-4 months and I'm not sure if there is ever going to be a replacement considering hardly anything out there under 30" is more than 1080p now.

As for the defect rate, we got 2 ZR24w's at work, then I bought one for myself and so did a friend of mine. I've tested all four of them and none has any stuck pixels or backlight bleeding issues. Only my friend's ZR24w has some tinting that in my opinion is pretty minor. Here's a pic of a full white screen:
dsc04141.png

Not easy to see but there is a very slight red to green tint from bottom to top. Considering TN panels have 10 times worse vertical uniformity by default, I would say it's something that 99.9% of people would never notice but it's worth noting it's there. Fortunately, not every monitor has it. The other 3 HP's are virtually problem free. The left side seems somewhat bluish in that pic but that has to be a camera thing because that's not what I saw in person when I was testing it. If you can find a place with good return policy, I'd definitely say go for it. 1920x1200 16:10 feels just right at this size. The pixel pitch is neither too big nor too small. It's an excellent all around monitor.

I just bought a ZR24w from MacMall and as usual sweat bullets wondering what defect I'll get. I got mine today and 'am very happy to report it's damn near perfect ! First and foremost no dead/stuck pixels, no obvious gradient issues on an all white screen and no significant backlight bleed on a black screen in a dark room. I was also happy to notice that it's apparently a very fresh sample with a December 2010 build date. I had the LP2475W originally and literally went through four before getting a decent one. I was dreading the same experience with the ZR24w but thankfully and knock on wood I got a good one. Also I must say I prefer the ZR's standard color gamut over the LP2475W over saturated wide gamut.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. When my paycheck comes in it's going straight out the door!

I just bought three ZR24W's for a new eyefinity setup, and no dead or stuck pixels. They are beautiful monitors.

I purchased my ZR24W from MacMall during their previous sale + rebate (which came really quickly compared to other rebates I've submitted in the past) and I've been really happy with it so far. No tinting issues, beautiful colors, and good viewing angles. The color was set to closely match the Dell 2408fpw sitting next to it so that the desktop wallpaper that extends onto both monitors has approximately the same. Should probably look to calibrate both of them though.

Remember, on the ZR24W you get HP's business class of customer service. I had a single stuck pixel on mine, and a 5 min phone call got an on-site technician within 24 hours. Really amazing.

Remember, on the ZR24W you get HP's business class of customer service. I had a single stuck pixel on mine, and a 5 min phone call got an on-site technician within 24 hours. Really amazing.

Cant beat a company that cares about outstanding customer service.

I've read a lot of people buy ZR24w refurbs on ebay from a certain B&M storefront. Should I spring for a refurb (1 year warranty) or go new (3 year warranty)?

I've read a lot of people buy ZR24w refurbs on ebay from a certain B&M storefront. Should I spring for a refurb (1 year warranty) or go new (3 year warranty)?

That is your call, if its from blowoutsales, they are the one I got my new one from.

I just brought a refurb, not yet arrived. The 3 year warranty was around $120 or so I think. I just stuck with the 1 year that the monitor came with.

Back