Zoom meetings.. killing performance?

farscapesg1

2[H]4U
OK, I'm scratching my head here and looking to see if anyone has had a similar issue. Since this virus started it seems like everyone and their dog wants to use Zoom meetings. Our kids teachers are still using it for meetings.. so it has to be installed on all the systems int he house it seems. Since they started using it.. computer performance on all our home laptops has taken a dump.. both while using Zoom as well as after. I've run virus scans, malwarebytes scanning, etc. and nothing.. but it can't be a coincidence that 3 laptops (wife and both the kids systems) run like dogs now while mine is still merrily chugging along (all HP 8740 Elitebooks). It got bad enough that I did a fresh Win10 install on my wife's laptop which seems to have resolved the sluggishness for now.

Has anyone else been seeing this during the isolation? My google-fu isn't finding any reports.

Zoom seems really popular, but I haven't used it. My company banned it because it seems to have a lot of security issues, so that in part could be why you're seeing slowdowns (it is the virus!). Could you consider making a single machine the Zoom machine in the house for the duration? I've seen slowdowns with the software we use (Cisco Webex and Microsoft Teams) but they were pretty short-lived and only during the conference; it seems they caught up with demand pretty quickly.

Various performance and security issues have cropped up in Zoom.
It is not at all secure.
If you want to stop Zoom from taking your system to ransom then I have a solution.

Decide one system on which you would have to install Zoom.
Then install Ubuntu or any other Linux Distro and install Zoom from the snap repository of Ubuntu.
They work like containers for those applications along with including their dependency libraries.
The program will not affect the performance of your system.
It would work inside a container.

I had to install this crap for a virtual doctor appointment and it tanked my PC to shit. The video was fine but I couldn't even move my mouse around without it skipping all over the place. I couldn't do anything in the background while on the call. This is a 3950x system. Once I closed the call everything went back too normal. Instantly uninstalled that crap afterwards.

been using teams at work with generally positive results. my job involves regular classroom training (mostly refresher) and even did training from home. i rather like it.

but let's be honest....most meetings are a waste of time anyway

been using teams at work with generally positive results. my job involves regular classroom training (mostly refresher) and even did training from home. i rather like it.

but let's be honest....most meetings are a waste of time anyway

Yup, the more we use Teams the better we like it. Privacy concerns withstanding! And no performance issues at all even on older laptops.

Yup, the more we use Teams the better we like it. Privacy concerns withstanding! And no performance issues at all even on older laptops.

and the best part is you can be an ass and toss people out at random

Also effecting things is the fact that overall the Internet is bogged down with the hackers hammering away at home users and all the virtual and remote learning, work, and collaboration going on.

You will notice how sloppy the browsers have gotten with their memory and performance hits. Adding another sloppy piece like Zoom will just add to the performance hits.
Yeha Zoom is popular but it really wasn't fully ready for the grand show it had to perform.

Back