'Zombie' Satellite Comes Back to Life

HardOCP News

[H] News
Not to point out the obvious but what zombie DOESN'T spring back to life? That's why they call them zombies! Seriously, what fun is a zombie that stays dead?

A "zombie satellite" that spent months sending out signals while it was adrift in orbit has sprung back to life, resetting itself after its unexplained breakdown in space earlier this year.

C'mon, this story has "movie-of-the-week" written all over it...a satellite that mysteriously breaks down, turns into a zombie, inexplicably springs back to life, reenters earth atmosphere carrying an alien life form and kills us all.

It's probably bringing back the alien equivalent of bonzai buddy and sony rootkits to infect NASA.

Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but this kind of thing happens all the time with hardware in space. Must've been a *really* slow news day...;) Witness the Mars rovers--they've been "zombies" for a long time after they were projected to have "died," haven't they? Yawn...

Fact is that electronics are never alive in the first place, so becoming a zombie just isn't in the cards...:)

About time, they had expected this to happen back in Augest. Guess better late than never.

Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but this kind of thing happens all the time with hardware in space. Must've been a *really* slow news day...;) Witness the Mars rovers--they've been "zombies" for a long time after they were projected to have "died," haven't they? Yawn...

Fact is that electronics are never alive in the first place, so becoming a zombie just isn't in the cards...:)

You are overlooking a very important thing though. This satellite wasn't just floating around turned off, it was actively broadcasting and if it got to close to other satellites it would interfer with the broadcasting from those and would take down their ability to function correctly. if it was completely off nobody would have cared about it, but this one could have caused a lot of problems as it floated around. Therefore they have been constantly monitoring it to let others know when it was getting close to their satellite to try to reduce the chance of an outage of service as much as possible, or at the very least prepare the other companies for their satellites being knocked out of service by this one.

Not to point out the obvious but what zombie DOESN'T spring back to life? That's why they call them zombies! Seriously, what fun is a zombie that stays dead?

C'mon, this story has "movie-of-the-week" written all over it...a satellite that mysteriously breaks down, turns into a zombie, inexplicably springs back to life, reenters earth atmosphere carrying an alien life form and kills us all.

They did make a movie, its called Virus!

The aliens messed up when they installed thier monitoring device, it just took them awhile to come back & install it correctly.

This suddenly reminded me of X-files. Its been ages since I saw those TV shows
Now I feel like watching them again :eek:

Okay, now you've done it :)

Did someone say zombies in space?
deadSpaceCover.jpg

^ Where do you come up with this stuff.

Kinda creepy.

I was thinking kind of the same thing as the OP... except I didn't think they would kill us, but just reset the satellite to help out their human brotha's since we are so newb with this new technology stuff :D

That was a great movie. Denzel Washington and Dustin Hoffman were great in their roles there.

One of the few movies which are genuinely scary :)

More on-topic, I'm pretty sure the owner of this satellite is overjoyed to have a million dollar piece of technology back in operation :)

zombies are now taking over satellites?!?!? OMG.. before they were just coming at us from beneath the ground, .... but now they are coming from space too!?!??!

Neither of those actors was in Event Horizon.

I think your thinking of The Sphere.

Sphere was amazing, even though it didn't do the book much justic it did capture a lot of the feel that I got from the book.

:eek:

Back