ZOMBIE OS

Serpico

[H]F Junkie
The OS that keeps coming back from the dead, AmigaOS 4.1 is out! Ars did an article on it and its pretty interesting: http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/amigaos41-ars.ars

I was pretty blown away by this thing back in college. Back when I had a 486/66 running Windows 3.1 and Norton Desktop, my friend who was doing visual effects out of his dorm room was running an Amiga with Video Toaster loaded on it and whatever the uber-Mac was at the time running System 7, both of which were way more advanced (and considerably more expensive) than what I was using.

I wouldn't mind playing around with this on another partition, its too bad it doesn't work on x86 CPUs. The only PPC machine I have is my PS3, and I gave away my old G4 almost a year ago. Anyone around here get a chance to play around with it?

Beat me to posting the link. You may want to edit the topic so that casual browsers see it's related to the Amiga.

Beat me to posting the link. You may want to edit the topic so that casual browsers see it's related to the Amiga.

Haha, you're right. ZOMBIE OS made me laugh a lot more than a simple "AmigaOS 4.1" but it is pretty vague. :)

Even though 99% of the posts here are Windows tech support, hopefully someone here has some experience with this thing. I checked out some Youtube links and I'm pretty impressed considering how slow the hardware it is running on is: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=amigaos+4.1&search_type=&aq=0&oq=amigaos+

I was going to say this is great news for the hundred or so non-developers that had a system that could run this. Want to say that only 1500 or so amiga one boards were ever made.

I see where acube has a board that can run this now though. Sucker is like 680 bucks though. If they manage to drop it below 300(200 mark would be best) I'd consider picking one up to screw around with it. I mean come on an os that requires more ram then hard drive space? Interesting.

it's hard to care about the amiga when I know there will never be as many games as it once had compared to the other platforms.

I was going to say this is great news for the hundred or so non-developers that had a system that could run this. Want to say that only 1500 or so amiga one boards were ever made.

I see where acube has a board that can run this now though. Sucker is like 680 bucks though. If they manage to drop it below 300(200 mark would be best) I'd consider picking one up to screw around with it. I mean come on an os that requires more ram then hard drive space? Interesting.

Yeah, at this point it would make more sense to pick up an old G4 off ebay for under $400 over that board. You'd be able to run it and get RAM, hard drive, video, etc, in the package.

I have an A4000 I would love to try this out on but...

Yeah, at this point it would make more sense to pick up an old G4 off ebay for under $400 over that board. You'd be able to run it and get RAM, hard drive, video, etc, in the package.

I was under the impression that it would not run on apple hardware. They could make it run on it but whats the point as the hardware has been eol for a while. The PS3 would be an interesting choice. Also don't think it would run on the power pc boards yellow dog use to sell.

I haven't upgrade to 4.1 yet. There are too many things in my purchase list, but Amiga was way ahead of their time. Now, they are behind. I have to get around to it.

I haven't upgrade to 4.1 yet. There are too many things in my purchase list, but Amiga was way ahead of their time. Now, they are behind. I have to get around to it.

Yeah, the "they are behind" part is the rub. If I did put one together it would just be as a curiosity. The thing I do like about the boards that they sell is that cooling appears to be completely passive. If that's the case it could make for a nice silent machine that does a lot of the basic functioned outlined in the review.

Back