ZM80D-HP on a 9800 Pro Review at InsaneTek

Sniper_Merc

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.insanetek.com/index.php?page=zalmanzm80d-hp

Tested against the ZM80C-HP and VGA Silencer.

"Zalman has hit big with this new VGA heatsink. It's big and it delivers. Zalman was at a loss when the VGA Silencer was produced, but they came back with the ZM80D."

There is also a user review on it on an X800Pro on Newegg which is very positive,

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-216&depa=0

I knew that the stock cooling on the x800pro sucked but not that much ;), hes seeing a 20C drop in temps with it vs stock cooling.

I installed a ZM80C-HP on an x800Pro a last week and the only temps previouslly that I had available were quoted from the guy that I did the job for ad he was sayin load of 65C, after putting on the Zalman, it peaked at about 53 C which is a pretty damn good drop over stock cooling. Had I known about the D, twin heatpipe version being out I woulda installed it instead, but even using the C rev was quite a drop.

Couple things on the C rev. I had to find some longer screws to use and used a couple of extra rubber washers to offset it on the backside due to it not being tall enough to get over the Vantec ramsinks we had installed, also had to bend the heatpipe some to get it to fit better, and I had to manufacture two longer aluminum crossbars due to the increase in width. Took a while but the results were nice.

I still have a C rev on my 5900 sittin here on my subwoofer, I had always considered asking Zalman to send me a second heatpip so I could mill the blocks and plates and add in a second pipe to see if it helped with temps. Now with the twin pipe version out I double I'lll be doing this. I'll just leave the C rev on it and order the D rev from the Newegg and put it on the new 6800 GT and be done with it.

Just for referance, Stock load temp on my 5900 was 56C, with the C rev Zalman it dropped to 50C. With stock cooling on my GT I've had it go as high as 78 C so it will be interesting to see what that dual heatpipe can do with it.

Christ, another disertaion from ol Snipey ;)

i'll be looking forward to hearing about it coz there is no way in hell im sticking with stock cooling on a graphics card.

Back