• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ZIL Log on BBU RAID card

lassiterb

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - June 2009
2FA
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
816
Was thinking about using two Intel 313 20G SLC SSD's in a RAID-1 on a Battery backed Areca ARC-1213-4I as a ZFS ZIL Log device. It seems that it could benefit from the 512MB cache on the raid card for improved speed. Does anyone here have any thoughts on such an implementation? Good Idea? Bad Idea? I am trying to get the best performance using what I have available since I cannot afford a STEC Zeusram.

Intended use would be for a vmware datastore to host Exchange 2010 and a few other Windows Server VMs.
 
Last edited:
could be interesting, since that first 512mb should be very quick (not that the ssd would be slow).
 
Does the RAID controllers write cache also work for pass-through devices? That way you could use the mirroring (and checksum per ZIL device) at ZFS level.
 
Does the RAID controllers write cache also work for pass-through devices? That way you could use the mirroring (and checksum per ZIL device) at ZFS level.

Not, sure. I haven't found anything to say one way or the other on this card yet. I will do some testing of it as soon as the battery module for this card arrives.
 
I think they typically do if you set up each drive as a raid 0 rather than jbod, then mirror them in zfs.
 
Back
Top