ZFSguru NAS fileserver project

Please post pictures;)

Sorry for the late answer, but I'll post a pic now :) link

Btw I tried 6drive raidz2 and 2x3drive raidz.

Its pretty strange that the difference is so small.
Code:
             Read:            Write:
raidz2       310MB/s          180MB/s
2xraidz1     350MB/s          240MB/s
raid0        525MB/s          490MB/s

Hi Jason - How is 1.8 final coming along?

Do you plan to roll the hot spare fix from the Head into your build?

Cheers
Paul

Last edited:
Jason's been missing for a few weeks both here and on his forums. Something must have come up in his personal life.

Jason is MIA. Not responding here or on the zfsguru forums. Been several weeks :( I pretty much gave up and moved on...

Shoot, I had just been reading info about this project and was excited to try it out. This unfortunately happens way to often with single contributor projects. But hey, it was free, so we cant really complain. Hope to see the project revived and I hope even more that everything is ok within the developer.

Too sad, as Im too is waithing for the 0.8...
I hope hes all right and write something here soon.

For all we know he can be on vacation and dont have intenrett access.

While we waith we can always try out the new FreeNAS 8 and see if thats any good.

The SAS2008 controller does not seem to work with ZFSguru 0.1.7p3. I will test with 0.1.8. Just FYI.
Possibly a conflict with my motherboard, IDK at this point...testing...

Or you could use something like openindiana that has up to date zfs and is stable :)
Hmmm, I haven't heard of it before now, hehe.
But it's looks like an full OS with no webgui, (like ZfsGuru or FreeNAS), and I really like an webgui to manage my filserver.

By the way, tested FreeNas8 in virtual box, tried to make an raidz of 4 virtual drives, but I gust got an size error and could not use it for anything :-(
No clue if this is because of FreeNas or VM, gona test on my physical flserver once I have taken an backup of it :)

But it's looks like an full OS with no webgui, (like ZfsGuru or FreeNAS), and I really like an webgui to manage my filserver.

By the way, tested FreeNas8 in virtual box, tried to make an raidz of 4 virtual drives, but I gust got an size error and could not use it for anything :-(
No clue if this is because of FreeNas or VM, gona test on my physical flserver once I have taken an backup of it :)

I think napp-it (http://www.napp-it.org/) is the only gui available for openindiana/zfs.

I had the exact same issue - give up time!

hmmm.
I think this is related to VM drives somehow, gona test on my server once I find my powercord to my Drobo so I can take backup of it, hehe :)

Let me know....
I would have thought that if it was vm it would affect zfsguru and straight freebsd.

you install OI and install napp-it on top as the webgui.

barbz: If Im not wrong, FreeNAS use an light version of FreeBSD, and ZFSGuru use the full package, so maybe somthing differ there.

danswartz: I tried to install OI on VirtualBox, but I came to an promt I dident understood anything of then I booted from the image...:confused:

Nevermind, I yust found out that something was wrong with the download :rolleyes:

Yust testet OI +Napp-it on VirtualBox.
Works fine, but I miss iSCSI :(
On the + sides; Easy to get AFP to work (I use OSX as cliets), easy to install.
Ones I find my powercord to the Drobo, I wil test bouth this and FN8 on my hardware.

But offcause, I realy realy hope ZFSGuru wil be back, because thats the system I like most right now. (but we need the next relese to be realy happy)

Note that the iscsi target does not come installed with OI by default. Get to a root shell and do 'pkg install iscsi/target'. You then (in napp-it) need to enable comstar and iscsi targets. I would disable the initiator and fibre channel stuff since it is not needed.

Oki, I got it installed, but I cant get it to work.
My client dont find the iSCSI targets whatever I do.

Maybe one of you can give me an guide howto setup iSCSI on OI right?
:)

You need to create a thin provisioned LU of the right size. Then create a target and add it to that target. Create a view, adding the target as ALL/ALL (unless you really need to restrict the views...) Also, make sure you did in fact start the iscsi target service and comstar service.

On the side; any of you know about an mini-itx mobo with 5-6SATA connectors?

Great Project

This is Exactly what I was looking for

any tips for modifying / adding our own idea's into the html page ?

I like my Memory stats and HDD SMART stats

I did have a issue testing out the Live CD using VirtualBox on an ATOM PC
error CPU does not support long mode

yet FreeBSD installed on it Fine the other night ,,,

MasterCATZ: Youre ATom is only 32bit I guess?
The long error comes then you try to install an 64bit system on an 32bit cpu.

ZFSGuru use 64bit mode only.

That might be it, thanks for reply

the ATOMS 64BIT but it lacks Hypervision to let Emulators have access to it

how ever I tried it on my Duo another Type of Crash .. yet to try on VMWare ( the other PC had an VMWARE Upgrade Issue where VMWare Workstation Disapeared and will not reinstall now / also had VI Client installed for esx so it might be related to that )

My only other viable test Rigs now being Converted to FreeBSD so stuck with the ION system and its 32 bit Virtual Machine Emulation

was pretty keen on testing it out but the night was running late
guess I will have a tinker nxt week when I am back after the Weekend

what is the difference between the LSI 3081E vs 1068E both about the same price ...

Last edited:
MasterCATZ: Youre ATom is only 32bit I guess?
The long error comes then you try to install an 64bit system on an 32bit cpu.

ZFSGuru use 64bit mode only.

zfsguru uses 0bit mode, since it seems to be dead :(

I bought two of the IBM ServeRAID M1015 (OEM LSI 9240-8i) due to their low cost. Caveats however, are that I will have to do some reliability testing. The pro was definitely the cost factor though. By buying two, I no longer needed to pick up a SAS Expander for ~$250 either. All in all, I managed to pick up both cards up for a cool $75. Can't beat that with a stick.

Additionally, controller support is there (albeit through the RAID driver), you just have to manually load the drivers from that link that you gave. ZFSguru isn't set up to do that for us at this point. I haven't played with it yet, but I'm guessing with some googling you could figure it out...

And I can Not Believe how in the Last 2 months everything i was eye'ing off has Doubled in price !!
Guess the Powers To Be worked out Software Raid is Taking off :S

also how to install this ??

http://zfsguru.com/doc/zfsguru

does not Contain any DOC !!

Last edited:
hopefully jason is still alive and not hit by a car or something

:/ I'm hoping he is okay too. He has been very active in this community, and I find it odd he just stopped showing up. I can't find any recent posts from across the web either.

Would someone with an international calling plan or a VOIP account mind giving him a call to see what happened? I won't post his information here but it can be found on the whois information for zfsguru.com. Keep in mind the time difference when calling as it is a London number.

I'm trying to export my zfs pool but I have my swap on the pool, and when I try it says dataset is in use. So far my attempts at disabling swap have been met with failure, can anyone assist?

You don't actually need to export it - but when you try to to import it on the new box, you will need to say '-f' (for force).

Back