ZFS vDev questions

TType85

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking for some advice on the best way to set up vDevs.

I did have a Synology 1812+ NAS I loved, but due to an issue at my company I have had to employ it there for now.

Critical data; ~50GB of the total of 4.5TB I have right now is backed up to my google drive, the rest if I lost would just mean a lot of time re-ripping my DVD's & Blu-Ray discs.

I have a total of 9 3TB Segate 7200 RPM drives to work with. Two of them are currently being used to hold the data I that will have to go back on this storage setup.

Hardware is i3-2100, 16GB ram, M1015 flashed to IT mode, Intel Pro 1000/MT dual nic.
I could throw a E3-1230 v2 / 32GB ECC ram in if I merge my esxi setup with the zfs storage. I can also grab a few small SSD's for cache if needed, but they will be consumer level drives.

This will be my media server, NFS shares and iscsi target for my esxi lab. I would really like to see 100MB/s read and write speeds.

What would the best way to set up the vdevs be?
3x3-drive RaidZ1's
1x6 Drive RaidZ2 1x3 Drive RaidZ1?

one big 9-disk RAID Z3? :)

otherwise i'd say an 6 disk Z2 and keep three of your drives on the shelves in external cases. do some incremental backups onto the disks over usb every week/month.

ECC ram is highly recommended. There is another thread going about it and there is some good information on why you should do that.

one big 9-disk RAID Z3? :)

otherwise i'd say an 6 disk Z2 and keep three of your drives on the shelves in external cases. do some incremental backups onto the disks over usb every week/month.

ECC ram is highly recommended. There is another thread going about it and there is some good information on why you should do that.

I would just do the 9 disk z3 but I need 2 of the drives till I build the other. The 6 Disk z2 would give me 9TB which would be good for the next 12 months.

Back