ZFS supermicro JBOD question

chuch

n00b
Ok I have a quick question I just purchase a supermicro SC847E26-RJBOD1 with 45 SAS disks and I want to know if i have this wired correctly so I connected the cables according to the diagram in the manual and connected it to an LSI 9205-8e HBA in IT mode via SAS cable, but when I run mpathadm list lu It says path count 1 shouldn't this say patch count 2 ? or would it only say that if there is two sas connections to the rear of the JBOD from the HBA? to get multipathing ?

OR which is entirely a possibility I cabled it wrong if anyone has experience with this particular JBOD who can shed some light on the subject for me.

Well you have 2 SAS cables connected to it I assume as shown in the manual?

Also you are using SAS drives that support multipath? SATA drives do not.

I don't have a manual handy, do you have the SAS2-846EL1 or SAS2-846EL2 backplanes? Only the EL2 are compatible with Multipath. You should have the two cables connected to PRI_J0 and SEC_J0 if memory serves, I will check when I get in the office Monday.

I don't have a manual handy, do you have the SAS2-846EL1 or SAS2-846EL2 backplanes? Only the EL2 are compatible with Multipath. You should have the two cables connected to PRI_J0 and SEC_J0 if memory serves, I will check when I get in the office Monday.

Yes it has the el2 backplane I have the internal cables connected according to the manual but only one sas cable going to the back of the JBOD do I need to have two sas cables connected to the back of the jbod from the hba in order to get multipath? They are sas drives I'm using and lsi 9205 in IT mode.

Yes it has the el2 backplane I have the internal cables connected according to the manual but only one sas cable going to the back of the JBOD do I need to have two sas cables connected to the back of the jbod from the hba in order to get multipath? They are sas drives I'm using and lsi 9205 in IT mode.

Yes you need 2 cables for multipath to work.

Don't you also need two servers or at minimum two HBAs for multipath to be useful ?

Don't you also need two servers or at minimum two HBAs for multipath to be useful ?

depends on your goal. 2 paths = 48gbps of bandwidth and or redundant paths. single path from two different HBAs is not always a great idea btw. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

i have the same JBOD, im doing it slightly different. I have four cables going out the back. internally, each primary and secondary connector for each backplane go to the back bracket (instead of daisy chaining them). then the primary's and secondary's go do different HBA's and two different head units for HA/Failover

Back