ZFS/OpenIndiana Home Server/Windows 7 Slowness

DlStreamnet

Limp Gawd
Hi guys, I thought i'd create a seperate thread to stop spamming up the main one.

I have the following setup:
Intel Xeon 1230
Intel DQ67SW
4x4GB Kingston RAM
5x1TB Hard Drives

I am running OpenIndiana ZFS RAIDz with all 5 drives, passed over using ESXi. All is well.

I have set up my Windows share using ZFS-Folder \tank\data and then added local user authentication. This works excellent on my Windows 7 personal PC. However...

Q1.) On my brothers PC, Windows 7 Sp1, similar setup, accessing the share takes forever and is never successful. It's definitely a Windows 7 issue. Has anybody had this before? Takes an effort just to resolve the OIZFS01 hostname and it's hit or miss whether it'll map and show up with a green network map drive.

Q2.) Is there a faster sharing method? I've heard of NFSv4 and CIFS (which I am using). Is there a performance benefit to this? I am mainly sharing media, very rarely files. Lots of large writes (4GB-9GB movies) and lots of streams.

Q3.) I can't get email alerts setup. It accepts the SMTP config but never works, I am using GMX mail. Is there instructions to setup a basic SMTP server within OpenIndiana?

Q4.) Is there a tutorial on how to install the smartmonitor tools? Just as an extra bit of protection to view smart details.

Many thanks guys, great help so far.

Q1/Q2: I tend not to like CIFS and use Samba for several reasons. You might want to try that.

Q4: Use Napp-it (napp-it.org) to install and get a good gui for the smartmonitor tools.

Hmm,

The plot thickens.

I cannot even access napp-it GUI from my brothers PC. It results in a hang at the initial loading page...

I can ping it fine. But no network access in general.

Are you using the hostname for the ping as well as CIFS and getting to the web page?

Hmm,

The plot thickens.

I cannot even access napp-it GUI from my brothers PC. It results in a hang at the initial loading page...

I can ping it fine. But no network access in general.

Firewall on your brothers PC that is unhappy with port 81? He using the same DNS you are?

He is using exactly the same switch and setup as me.

I did some further testing today:

On my laptop I have the same issue. However on wireless, it works perfectly....

WTH?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1670466

^ Seems this guy had the same issue. My laptop with Realtek has the same symptons...WTF could cause this?

Bad, cheap hardware with bad cheap drivers.
Try to update your Realtek drivers (helps mostly or on desktops disable the card and use Intel Nics for best performance).

Next: Avoid use of copy-tools like Teracopy. They slow down transfers with ZFS

Bad, cheap hardware with bad cheap drivers.
Try to update your Realtek drivers (helps mostly or on desktops disable the card and use Intel Nics for best performance).

+1 on this. Also, check Realteks site for newer drivers as well. They often (as well as other chipset makers) have much newer drivers than the motherboard or add in board vendor posts.

Updated my laptop to Sony's drivers - worked great.

Tried same thing on my brothers using ASUS drivers, failed.

Going to order a PCIE intel NIC.

Back