ZFS on Linux - VDEV Warnings

Josh_B

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi folks,

I am getting the following warning (found in vdev_disk.c in the ZFS source):

"WARNING: Resized bio's/dio to %d\n",bio_count". In my case, I get a warning that the value for bio/dio (bio_count) is now being set to 32.

I am fairly experienced with Linux but haven't seen this issue with any other filesystems or packages/kernels. Is there a tunable in the Linux kernel (or within the ZFS module) to increase the bio_count?

The performance is fairly good and I have not experienced any stability issues but ideally I'd like to clean this up. (Unless the medicine is worse than the ailment, of course.)

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Actually after some more reading, it appears the block size and Direct I/O writes should be aligned; I might be confused but I am pretty sure the VMFS filesystem within my ZFS-based LUN might be unaligned.

Does that seem plausible? Calling all ZFS gurus. ;-)

Actually after some more reading, it appears the block size and Direct I/O writes should be aligned; I might be confused but I am pretty sure the VMFS filesystem within my ZFS-based LUN might be unaligned.

Does that seem plausible? Calling all ZFS gurus. ;-)

I'm going to try and create a new LUN using the following command:

'zfs create -b 1024k -V 1G /VMs/LUN2'

I just read that VMFS5 uses a default block size of 1MB.... hopefully I can copy the VMs from the current LUNs, recreate them, and copy 'em back. ;-)

I think you're going to find most 'ZFS Gurus' here have experience with ZFS on *Solaris and BSD.

[Edit:+I have no idea on your error, sorry..]

I think you're going to find most 'ZFS Gurus' here have experience with ZFS on *Solaris and BSD.

[Edit:+I have no idea on your error, sorry..]

Fair enough. I appreciate your time nonetheless in checking out my thread.

Back