ZFS - Indexing

ldoodle

Limp Gawd
Hiya,

I have finally completed my 30T (raw unfortunately!) S11E ZFS build and when trying to add shares to Win7 libraries I get the dreaded 'This network location cannot be added because it is not indexed' error message.

Now I know about this and know about 'solutions', all of which I am not happy with (symlinks etc). Offline files is obviously a no-go, unless someone knows of a 16T desktop/laptop hard disk!

Is there any builtin or add-on I can use is Solaris that will not only index the files, but be Windows index aware as well?

I will be honest and say this would be a deal-breaker for me, which I would really be sad to see as I love ZFS!

Have you tried this:
http://zornsoftware.talsit.info/blog/win7-library-tool.html

Otherwise I don't think you have too many options. Windows Search Protocol is a service that needs to run on the server, and so far there is no non-windows native implementation of this. There's a work item to add it to samba (which wouldn't help if you were using in kernel CIFS), but it hasn't even been started yet.

Probably the only realistic way to get full support would be:

*Run SE11/Win2k8 under ESXI (or Win2k8 under a VM with SE11 as the host)
*Present the ZFS volume as an iscsi/nfs export (ESXI) or native (Win2k8 under vm) share to Win2k8
*Let Win2k8 actually handle sharing the volume.

In this manner you would get full SMB2 support and Offline windows index with a ZFS backend.

In this manner you would get full SMB2 support and Offline windows index with a ZFS backend.

True, but a ZFS backend on an iSCSI ZVOL isn't much good. It just keeps the blocks in-check on the ZFS side. It doesn't help with corruption or data issues within the ZVOL (unfortunately). So it's not a great solution.

Back