• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

ZFS Home Server Upgrade

spankit

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2010
Messages
262
Having some issues with my old motherboard and as a result I will be switching to server hardware (currently running a desktop board I got for free) for my ZFS server.

Replacing this:
Intel DG33BU Motherboard
Intel Core2 Duo 2.66ghz
8GB DDR2 Memory

With this:
2x - Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered (link)
1x Intel Xeon E3-1230 Sandy Bridge 3.2GHz (link)
1x SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL+F (link)

Running with:
LSI 9201-16i HBA
8x Hitachi 3TB 5k3000

I was running OI 151 and will continue to do so on the new motherboard. Will these parts work good?
 
I built a similar system recently for SE11.

I don't believe the C202 and C204 boards support Registered ECC... you might want to check more closely on that.

FYI I went with a SuperMicro X9SCM-F-O (link) with SE 11 and it's working great. It's only slightly more and has one extra PCI-e slot. I also went with 4 x Kingston KVR1333D3E9S/4G for 16GB, which is ECC but not registered.

Using an E3-1240, for no reason other than the E3-1230 simply wasn't in stock when I was buying.
 
Having some issues with my old motherboard and as a result I will be switching to server hardware (currently running a desktop board I got for free) for my ZFS server.

Replacing this:
Intel DG33BU Motherboard
Intel Core2 Duo 2.66ghz
8GB DDR2 Memory

With this:
2x - Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered (link)
1x Intel Xeon E3-1230 Sandy Bridge 3.2GHz (link)
1x SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL+F (link)

Running with:
LSI 9201-16i HBA
8x Hitachi 3TB 5k3000

I was running OI 151 and will continue to do so on the new motherboard. Will these parts work good?

I don't believe that motherboard supports registered memory. That's an issue I had with my last build, had to stick with 4GB chips.
 
I don't believe that motherboard supports registered memory. That's an issue I had with my last build, had to stick with 4GB chips.

This. You need ECC unbuffered for the new chipsets. Unfortunately there aren't 8GB unbuffered DIMM's available yet, which is a shame. I've been waiting for them myself.
 
I have a c206 and am waiting for 2x 8gb ECC UDIMMs to throw in it. Kinda sad that Vsphere (esxi) 5 free will max out with 1 of these sticks.....
 
Thanks for all the replies and the suggestions on memory. Really too bad that I can't get ECC unregistered 8GB sticks. I wanted to have the ability to go over 16GB but I guess it'll have to do for now. No worries though as it will save me some money in the long run. Also, I chose this motherboard specifically due to it having Two Intel® 82574L LAN ports. I was reading that the Intel® 82579LM does not have working drivers for OI in another thread regarding the X9SCM boards.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top