ZFS Gurus, replacing Controller Card

jonnyjl

Limp Gawd
I think one of my Supermicro USAS-L8Is is causing me problems (that or WD RE4-GPs... I do kinda want to dump the RE4-GPs).

I purchased an Intel SASUC8I, which is the same LSI chipset, and I'm going to install it and want to remove the vdev attached to the Supermicro controller (total of 2 vdevs, 8 drives per vdev in raid2z).

Can a ZFS guru confirm that I can merely swap the cables over (I'll do this while powered down) and there shouldn't be any additional configuration involved?

Not a ZFS guru, but have you installed the IT firmware on the SASUC8I? I think it comes from the factory with IR firmware (RAID), but you probably want the IT firmware which makes the attached disks each appear as a separate device.

Depending on the operating system used zfs may recognize the drives connected to the new card as such and retain their pre-existing names. If not, you may need to run 'zpool replace' commands to update the configuration. There is little to no risk by attempting to swap the cards as you suggested. I have used the Intel SASUC8I and USAS-L8Is with success. Note that their is an updated firmware floating around online for the RE4-GP which may or may not assist you.

Make sure the SASUC8i is used in IT-mode, like john4200 says. Then it will be a HBA instead of a RAID controller and each disk will be detected separately.

If device names change, that is no problem. But you can't migrate an existing ZFS pool to a hardware RAID controller (which the Intel SASUC8i is before changing the firmware to IT-mode). Also a few ports on the onboard SATA controller and a few on the Intel controller shouldn't be any bad really; ZFS only cares for the speed of the controller/interface and wants to .

Depending on the operating system used zfs may recognize the drives connected to the new card as such and retain their pre-existing names. If not, you may need to run 'zpool replace' commands to update the configuration. There is little to no risk by attempting to swap the cards as you suggested. I have used the Intel SASUC8I and USAS-L8Is with success. Note that their is an updated firmware floating around online for the RE4-GP which may or may not assist you.
Sorry, I'm using OpenSolaris

Zpool replace can be used if an entire vdev's drives aren't recognized? Would it matter the order, like

Like if its current:
c0d0t0, c0d1t0, c0d2t0, c0d3t0
and comes out
c1d0t0, c1d1t0, c1d2t0, c1d3t0

Do I just zpool replace poolname c0d0t0 c1d0t0. What would happen if I did c0d0t0 c1d1t0?

I didn't plan on removing old controller, should I?

I was under the impression it shipped with the IT firmware, but if not, I think i can flash it with LSI's firmware.

PS I saw G05 firmware for the RE4-GP on my replacement Disk. I wonder how I can get it. I have half the mind just to warranty them all.. lol

I finally got around to it. I was able to flash the Intel card with an LSI IT firmware, within Windows (another system). Just use -o

Also, flashed another controller and moved that vdev and split it across two controllers, both 1068E based, with firmware 1.30. Decided to flash to see if it might help, I've been having a recent problem of my entire zpool hard locking. I think its occurring because a disk is dropping out (an Hitachi this time) and the increase i/o for a resilver is just f'baring it. I'm see MPT timeouts and such.

So the disk names in the zpool don't match up with the actual device names, that just requires a zpool export/import?

I'm probably going to flash my other controllers and split up the other vdev.

Back