ZFS benchmarks on AMD Fusion / Zacate

LBJ

n00b
Introduction:
A week or so ago I asked for anyone's thoughts on using ZFS with the new and zacate / fusion platform. It looks like I'm the first one to try at least here so as promised here are some impressions and benchmarks. I went with the asrock e350m1 board for two reasons: it was actually in stock and the price is right it's at least $40 less then other zacate boards on the market.

The board itself is well laid-out and there weren't any issues installing it in a mid-tower atx case. A few nice touches are: it doesn't need the extra 12v connector and it will even run on a 20 pin atx so that opens up a number of possibilities for pico power supplies and reusing old lower wattage supplies. The other boards seem to all be 24pin +12v. It is actively cooled but the fan is silent I can't hear any noise with a quiet power supply. The pin locations seem to be the same as a northbridge cooler so in theory it looks like one could upgrade to passive cooling on the cheap.

My actual setup is fairly conservative; I have 4gb of ddr3-1333 and 2 seagate 7200.12 1TB disks I am adding parts as I go and will be picking up at least another disk next time there's a sale so again if no one else builds a more complete zacate server before then I'll update this with more disks.

Tests:

Bsd using zfsguru 0.1.7-preview3 live cd
Everything seems to be identified and supported properly with the build of freebsd included. Networking works, usb works, sata controllers are found.

Code:
ZFSGURU-benchmark, version 1
Test size: 1.000 gigabytes (GiB)
Test rounds: 3
Cooldown period: 2 seconds
Sector size override: default (no override)
Number of disks: 2 disks
disk 1: gpt/Disk0
disk 2: gpt/Disk1

* Test Settings: TS1; 
* Tuning: none
* Stopping background processes: sendmail, moused, syslogd and cron
* Stopping Samba service

Now testing RAID0 configuration with 1 disks: cWmRd@cWmRd@cWmRd@
READ:	99 MiB/sec	102 MiB/sec	107 MiB/sec	= 103 MiB/sec avg
WRITE:	103 MiB/sec	105 MiB/sec	102 MiB/sec	= 103 MiB/sec avg

Now testing RAID0 configuration with 2 disks: cWmRd@cWmRd@cWmRd@
READ:	183 MiB/sec	183 MiB/sec	183 MiB/sec	= 183 MiB/sec avg
WRITE:	193 MiB/sec	229 MiB/sec	236 MiB/sec	= 219 MiB/sec avg

Now testing RAIDZ configuration with 2 disks: cWmRd@cWmRd@cWmRd@
READ:	104 MiB/sec	105 MiB/sec	105 MiB/sec	= 105 MiB/sec avg
WRITE:	92 MiB/sec	88 MiB/sec	91 MiB/sec	= 90 MiB/sec avg

Now testing RAID1 configuration with 2 disks: cWmRd@cWmRd@cWmRd@
READ:	104 MiB/sec	100 MiB/sec	102 MiB/sec	= 102 MiB/sec avg
WRITE:	94 MiB/sec	93 MiB/sec	99 MiB/sec	= 96 MiB/sec avg

Done

Is there any other bsd tests anyone would like to see done? Or any optimization to try?

Solaris to come. Is there a build of the zfsguru benchmark for solaris or what's the tool of choice to test that?

With the LiveCD you won't have any tuning, your speeds should improve after you performed a Root-on-ZFS installation and have done the automatic memory tuning.

You can use a USB stick for temporary Root-on-ZFS device. Format your USB stick with GPT, create a pool on it, then follow the instructions at System->Install to install to the USB stick. Once you boot from the USB stick, you're running Root-on-ZFS and can benchmark again.

Since you have 4GB RAM you need to activate prefetching manually, so after booting in Root-on-ZFS you go to System->Tuning page and click the checkbox next to the text "vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable" and value set at 0, so that prefetching is forced on. Then you need to reboot once more, and your tuning should be okay!

Then you can run the benchmarks again, and you should see higher numbers. Still, 90MB/s write for RAID-Z2 with 2 disks is not bad at all. :)

Would be great to test it with 4 or 5 disks in RAID-Z though, since that likely will be the target for Zacate system (with 5 or 6 onboard SATA/600 ports).

Cheers!

Here is a link to a bunch of tuning/benchmarks I ran with an D525 Atom with 4GB (also can give you ideas on different tuning parameters you can try). If you had time to duplicate some of these that would be great for a comparison for the Atom and Zacate platforms.

Introduction:
A week or so ago I asked for anyone's thoughts on using ZFS with the new and zacate / fusion platform. It looks like I'm the first one to try at least here so as promised here are some impressions and benchmarks. I went with the asrock e350m1 board for two reasons: it was actually in stock and the price is right it's at least $40 less then other zacate boards on the market.

The board itself is well laid-out and there weren't any issues installing it in a mid-tower atx case. A few nice touches are: it doesn't need the extra 12v connector and it will even run on a 20 pin atx so that opens up a number of possibilities for pico power supplies and reusing old lower wattage supplies. The other boards seem to all be 24pin +12v. It is actively cooled but the fan is silent I can't hear any noise with a quiet power supply. The pin locations seem to be the same as a northbridge cooler so in theory it looks like one could upgrade to passive cooling on the cheap.

My actual setup is fairly conservative; I have 4gb of ddr3-1333 and 2 seagate 7200.12 1TB disks I am adding parts as I go and will be picking up at least another disk next time there's a sale so again if no one else builds a more complete zacate server before then I'll update this with more disks.

Tests:

Bsd using zfsguru 0.1.7-preview3 live cd
Everything seems to be identified and supported properly with the build of freebsd included. Networking works, usb works, sata controllers are found.

Code:

* Tuning: none
* Stopping Samba service

READ:	99 MiB/sec	102 MiB/sec	107 MiB/sec	= 103 MiB/sec avg
WRITE:	103 MiB/sec	105 MiB/sec	102 MiB/sec	= 103 MiB/sec avg

READ:	183 MiB/sec	183 MiB/sec	183 MiB/sec	= 183 MiB/sec avg
WRITE:	193 MiB/sec	229 MiB/sec	236 MiB/sec	= 219 MiB/sec avg

READ:	104 MiB/sec	105 MiB/sec	105 MiB/sec	= 105 MiB/sec avg
WRITE:	92 MiB/sec	88 MiB/sec	91 MiB/sec	= 90 MiB/sec avg

READ:	104 MiB/sec	100 MiB/sec	102 MiB/sec	= 102 MiB/sec avg
WRITE:	94 MiB/sec	93 MiB/sec	99 MiB/sec	= 96 MiB/sec avg

Done

Is there any other bsd tests anyone would like to see done? Or any optimization to try?

Solaris to come. Is there a build of the zfsguru benchmark for solaris or what's the tool of choice to test that?

How long does a make world take?

Sounds good I'll do an install to a usb stick and run the tests again, along with make world and some of the benchmarks from the atom thread with the same specifications. I do want more ram; for some reason this zacate board supports 16gb while the others are only 8 so I don't know if it's a documentation error, a benefit of the efi or a limitation of the other boards. Hopefully next week I'll have more disks to try they seem to go on sale every other week at the local shop.

I did try solaris last night; I didn't get to any benchmarking yet but the solaris 11 express live cd boots up and sees ahci sata, usb and networking just fine. There weren't any hardware accelerated video drivers but x.org was fully functional and completely usable with the vga drivers.

Some updates:

I installed zfsguru to usb and booted from that. With the default tuning the results are almost identical to the first set I posted the averages were +/- 2 MiB/sec

and this is with vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable set to 0 it's almost exactly the same as the live cd results. So I'm not sure if further optimization is needed somewhere.
Code:

* Tuning: KMEM=5.4g; AMIN=1.8g; AMAX=2.7g; PFD=0; 
* Stopping Samba service

READ:	100 MiB/sec	100 MiB/sec	110 MiB/sec	= 103 MiB/sec avg
WRITE:	98 MiB/sec	111 MiB/sec	99 MiB/sec	= 103 MiB/sec avg

READ:	193 MiB/sec	195 MiB/sec	195 MiB/sec	= 195 MiB/sec avg
WRITE:	219 MiB/sec	264 MiB/sec	187 MiB/sec	= 223 MiB/sec avg

READ:	117 MiB/sec	116 MiB/sec	110 MiB/sec	= 114 MiB/sec avg
WRITE:	87 MiB/sec	91 MiB/sec	98 MiB/sec	= 92 MiB/sec avg

READ:	157 MiB/sec	157 MiB/sec	157 MiB/sec	= 157 MiB/sec avg
WRITE:	97 MiB/sec	99 MiB/sec	99 MiB/sec	= 98 MiB/sec avg

Done

Could you try it with SE11 or the newest Open Indiana release?
Specifically interested in the RaidZ-Results...

Back