• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ZFS backup server, is raidz-1 sufficient?

olavgg

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 27, 2010
Messages
232
I'm setting up a new storage system, after counting my available disks I ended up with 18 2TB disks. And since harddrive prices has doubled the last week I'm not sure if I should bother getting the last 18th drive.

I'm thinking about setting up a 9 disk raidz-2 main storage server and a 8 disk raidz-1 backupserver. With this I will also have one spare so I can start resilvering as quick as possible. Is raidz-1 sufficient for the backup server? It's only doing backup of the main storage server, if resilvering should take down a second drive it really doesn't matter as it's just the backup server. All I need to do is to do a full backup, which could take a while.
I do store very important data though, enough to kill my business if I should lose data.

What do you think?
 
Do you have separate backups on top of that, such as an offsite solution? If yes, I'd say it's sufficient. Very worse case scenario, you'd just have to go retrieve this offsite backup.
 
I do store very important data though, enough to kill my business if I should lose data.

What do you think?

in such a case i would
- never use raid-z1with 8 disks
- use always a second backupserver on a different physical location
- do alot of snaps

as a minimum
 
I do store very important data though, enough to kill my business if I should lose data.

What do you think?


If that were my data I wouldn't consider raidz1 - for the (relatively) small cost of one more drive raidz2 would give more peace of mind that things have less chance of going pear-shaped. Our mission-critical data is synced with an offsite server as well as being stored offline in two separate locations physically.
 
If that were my data I wouldn't consider raidz1 - for the (relatively) small cost of one more drive raidz2 would give more peace of mind that things have less chance of going pear-shaped. Our mission-critical data is synced with an offsite server as well as being stored offline in two separate locations physically.

So your data is stored on 4 different servers?
 
Back
Top