• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ZFS array degradation, should I be worried?

iroc409

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 17, 2006
Messages
1,387
I have a ZFS array on FreeBSD that went wonky on me. I'm not sure when it happened. My server used to email me status reports daily, but I think my ISP is blocking it. It may have happened several days ago.

Anyway, it says one of the drives was removed by administrator, and had a goofy drive number (long numeric, was /dev/ada1). I opened the computer case to see if maybe something got knocked loose from moving, but didn't see anything. Pushed all the connectors in and fired it back up. It came online just fine, and is resilvering. When the computer started up however, there was a wretched noise coming from it for a short period of time. It could have been a fan or something, but I think it was coming from a hard drive.

It looks like I can use smartmontools to test out a drive in FreeBSD, so I'll have to try that. Should I be planning on replacing the drive anyway? The last pool scrub was performed presumably with a degraded pool and indicated 0 errors, so I'm guessing I don't have any data loss. To be safe I guess I should swap out my backup drives before the next backup runs to be extra cautious.
 
Well, it was making some odd noises while resilvering, but hasn't in quite a while. I guess I'm going to assume it's good and go from there, just makes me nervous. I'll still probably install smartmontools and check the drives out.
 
Well worth checking them out with smartmontools. How much redundancy do you have in your pool?
 
Well worth checking them out with smartmontools. How much redundancy do you have in your pool?

The pool is 4 drives of 2 mirrors. After resilvering I ran a manual scrub, and it returned zero errors, so the data should be good to go. zpool status does indicate 2 checksum errors, but I assume those were repaired.
 
Back
Top