• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

"Zeroed" my hard drive, now what?

reddhaus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
287
I zeroed out my hard drive. I need to format it and reinstall my OS (Win Me) but I am stuck. I have tried to used boot disks but I am not having any luck.

What are my next steps?
 
zeroed your hard drive? wtf is that?


anyways, DO NOT INSTALL WINDOWS ME, it is total garbage, make the upgrade to xp home or pro depending on your needs.

once you have an xp disk just pop it in and boot from the cd.
 
I used AutoClave and zeroed my hard drive. I believe you could also call it a low level format.

I know Win Me is crap but it is all I have right now. This is a very very old machine and I doubt XP would run very well if at all.

I just need to get the drive back to the point that I can install an operating system on it.

Anyone?
 
Grab yourself a win98 boot disk. If you have XP you'll have to grab an image from the internet (search for "win98 boot disk" or "win98 boot floppy image") write it to a floppy, boot from floppy, run "fdisk", format, and install ME as normal. Be sure you get a disk image with the fdisk and format commands.

What I'm curious about is why your ME cd won't boot and give you the command prompt where you can fdisk and format. Its been on all versions since 95.

When you zeroed your hard drive, you wiped all partition and boot records from the device. It basically made it into the same drive it was when it was manufactured.


Alternatively, if you want, you can make a bootable CDROM with all those programs on it. You just need a bootable image and use Nero to insert it as a boot image (no floppy emulation) and put the format and fdisk executables from your winme cd onto that cd. Burn and boot, it will load faster than a floppy....
 
Bullitt said:
Grab yourself a win98 boot disk. If you have XP you'll have to grab an image from the internet (search for "win98 boot disk" or "win98 boot floppy image") write it to a floppy, boot from floppy, run "fdisk", format, and install ME as normal. Be sure you get a disk image with the fdisk and format commands.

What he said. Get one here: http://www.bootdisk.com/


Bullitt said:
What I'm curious about is why your ME cd won't boot and give you the command prompt where you can fdisk and format. Its been on all versions since 95.

Actually, no they don't... I have any number of examples at my disposal to corroberate. My experience has actually been that most don't boot from the CD.

Bullitt said:
Alternatively, if you want, you can make a bootable CDROM with all those programs on it. You just need a bootable image and use Nero to insert it as a boot image (no floppy emulation) and put the format and fdisk executables from your winme cd onto that cd. Burn and boot, it will load faster than a floppy....

This is what I have done. You might even be able to use one of the boot disks from the above site directly as your floppy image. Then just copy all files from your CD to a folder to burn back to the new disc.

Good luck.

 
uzor said:
Actually, no they don't... I have any number of examples at my disposal to corroberate. My experience has actually been that most don't boot from the CD.

Weird in my experience, they all booted in some way or another, they all didnt automatically run the setup from start to finish. My very first build was with a DIY computer and a win98se upgrade CD from staples. I bought it because the only requirements was (quoted loosely from my memory of the box) an existing licence of Windows 3.1, or win95. When I booted with the CD it informed me it was only an update, and would not continue. Boy was I let down, but I formatted my new 30gig 7200 drive (this was 1999) and manually ran "setup.exe" and it took off. when it asked for my existing copy of windows, I put in my Win3.1 CD and pointed the directory to the Cdrom, from there it was fat dumb and happy. :) Needless to say, it felt amazing to bypass the instructions in the package on my very first PC build.

At any rate, most of those boot images on the linky provided have the fdisk and format commands. If they dont, just use the bootable image and drag and drop those needed executables from your ME disk. You should be ok after that.
 
I made a boot disk from the link that was provided. I went throught the steps and the hard drive is formating now.

Thanks for the help guys!

Another satisfied [H]ardForum customer!! :D
 
Back
Top