Zeno Clash

Is anybody playing this? I just bought it off of steam and played for 2 hours, totally loving the fist+gun action. Much better than the first Riddick game. For those that haven't heard of the game here is a quick rundown

• Setting in a bizarre world on the source engine with good atmosphere
  • first person
  • awesome melee combat with really simple controls
  • weird weapons
  • linear play style
  • has achievements and challenge mode also
  • 20 bucks for 4-6 hours of gameplay
These guys were a finalist at the indie awards.

http://www.zenoclash.com/

I pre-ordered it when it was $10.

I'm loving it so far. The gameplay is really awesome and the graphics are incredible. The art style is very unique.

Do you guys think the artstyle could put some people off from it?

I am personally thinking about whether I should pick it up... some of the art and specifically, some of the creature designs are uh...:confused: bit wierd in my opinion.

Is the game awesome enough/designed well enough for me to get over/interested in the style?

I played the game for about a half an hour today and it's definitely one of the most bizarre games that I've ever played, but the melee/ gun action is very good. Story is pretty interesting too. Hope it's worth the price.

personally I like the art style of the game

whole lot of screenshots incoming

zenoclash2009-04-2121-19-07-69.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2121-19-39-38.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2121-19-55-16.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2121-20-01-55.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2121-20-29-86.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2121-20-38-86.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2121-22-09-22.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2121-26-14-26.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2121-27-54-75.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2121-28-07-77.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2121-28-52-58.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2121-43-30-06.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2121-44-33-46.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2121-47-25-80.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2121-50-16-95.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2121-53-12-22.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2121-53-51-11.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2121-54-19-44.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2121-55-28-37.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2121-56-17-12.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2122-03-13-69.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2122-04-12-71.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2122-04-19-05.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2122-08-23-32.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2122-09-59-49.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2122-12-11-57.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2122-14-57-99.jpg

zenoclash2009-04-2122-17-32-06.jpg

I also got this back when it was only $10 and so far it is definitely worth that. I haven't played it enough to see if it's worth $20 but so far from what I have seen it is a great game for that price.

I loved it, but it's far too short and they didn't elaborate on the story enough at all. It's almost entirely left up in the air. I won't go in to detail because there's no way to explain without huge spoilers, but for something that gives the impression of having an amazing story and world behind it.... so little comes through I left feeling cheated.

The art style reminds me of Plainscape Torment meets Sacrifice. Very interesting.

I also wish it wasn't /quite/ so linear. I realize this is a small team on a very limited budget, but it felt like it was really on rails 9/10ths of the time. Rare you got to walk off of a path the entire game.

Subscribed...the screenshots look fantastic, like a more detailed and colorful version of Team Fortress 2.

If the next Zelda was on the Source Engine it would look like that lol.

And yeah, what's the basic plot?

Hey, could any guys who play this give a quick review of how they like it? Better yet, maybe a clear description of what this game is about. From the pics, it looks really interesting!

You're an exile named Gakt (or something, I honestly never quite caught it, my brain rejected the oddness of the sound) from a strange village, and there is a hermaphrodite character named Father-Mother (the cloaked bird-legged one) who birthed everyone in this village and took care of them. At the beginning of the game you are running away from all your brothers and sisters because for reasons the player does not yet know you have killed father-mother. You are beaten and bloodied, and the girl with the horns in her hair helps you get away but is made an exile as well for her trouble. At first you are running away, looking for safety, fighting off those that want to stop you and punish you for the murder, including mercenaries sent by your family. It develops from there; I don't really want to go in to more detail for fear of ruining it for those who have yet to play.

It was fun, and it's the best I've ever seen Source look by far, but the story was not nearly developed enough, the areas while beautiful were either circular and open or skinny and path / corridor like. You can't jump or climb, so any obstacle on the ground stops you dead in your tracks, though the NPCs that come along with you often climb on the scenery and you are many times fighting people who are up above you in areas you literally can never reach, so you have to resort to bombs or ranged weapons. It's beautiful, but it's flawed. I hope that ACE Team get a ton of money from sales and come back with a sequel that addresses these issues, because this world really deserves to be further developed.

Last edited:
I wish i had picked it up when the pre-orders were for 50% off :(. Owell, sounds like a steam deal purchase for me, from what I can gather. I assume there is no multiplayer either right?

You're an exile named Gakt (or something, I honestly never quite caught it, my brain rejected the oddness of the sound) from a strange village, and there is a hermaphrodite character named Father-Mother (the cloaked bird-legged one) who birthed everyone in this village and took care of them. At the beginning of the game you are running away from all your brothers and sisters because for reasons the player does not yet know you have killed father-mother. You are beaten and bloodied, and the girl with the horns in her hair helps you get away but is made an exile as well for her trouble. At first you are running away, looking for safety, fighting off those that want to stop you and punish you for the murder, including mercenaries sent by your family. It develops from there; I don't really want to go in to more detail for fear of ruining it for those who have yet to play.

It was fun, and it's the best I've ever seen Source look by far, but the story was not nearly developed enough, the areas while beautiful were either circular and open or skinny and path / corridor like. You can't jump or climb, so any obstacle on the ground stops you dead in your tracks, though the NPCs that come along with you often climb on the scenery and you are many times fighting people who are up above you in areas you literally can never reach, so you have to resort to bombs or ranged weapons. It's beautiful, but it's flawed. I hope that ACE Team get a ton of money from sales and come back with a sequel that addresses these issues, because this world really deserves to be further developed.

good rundown of the game, I will add that most of the first part of the game is training you how to use the controls and pulling off the combo moves. The story could use some more polish, there is just enough story there to keep you intrigued, but in the end you want more. To those that think the art style is weird, personally I loved it. I showed it to a friend though, and he said it would give him nightmares. The linear part does suck a bit, but i didn't mind it to much.

I wish i had picked it up when the pre-orders were for 50% off :(. Owell, sounds like a steam deal purchase for me, from what I can gather. I assume there is no multiplayer either right?
No unfortunately. That really would have added to the replay value. There is a challenge mode though. I haven't tried it yet

Absolutely loving this game, I'm proud to support a company who actually deserves money unlike most games these days that aren't even worth 5$.

Pre ordered iit a few weeks back when it was 10, easily worth it.

I beat the game last night ( I'd say around 5-6'ish hours) and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The art style is excellent and it really makes the game feel unique and different then most others.

The gameplay was tight and refreshing, the melee combat system being the main course of the game and the guns while although greatly designed in terms of looks, etc felt a bit weak compared to the melee combat.

The story I thought was good, it left you wanting to know more and more throughout the game and with the ending it gave some closure but also left things open to make room for potential expansions or a sequel (I hope).

The game only took me 3 hours to beat but it was amazing. It definitely has some replay value with the great combat system.

I was impressed with the game, and I generally agree with what's been said here. Above all, I really enjoyed the way the game looked. Really cool art, with enough technical prowess to pull it off flawlessly. On top of that, combat is extremely well done, and on the standard "hard" difficulty, there's plenty of challenge, even for a seasoned gamer.

The only things that suggest that this is an indie title at all is rather flat (although not bad) voice acting, and a rather short run time.

Hmm I just pre-order Killing Floor...Maybe I will get this too.

I am still not 100% sure I will buy it, but heck its only 15 bucks

Anyone got a link that doesn't require you to download a program in order to download a demo?

Is anybody playing this? I just bought it off of steam and played for 2 hours, totally loving the fist+gun action. Much better than the first Riddick game. For those that haven't heard of the game here is a quick rundown

• Setting in a bizarre world on the source engine with good atmosphere
  • first person
  • awesome melee combat with really simple controls
  • weird weapons
  • linear play style
  • has achievements and challenge mode also
  • 20 bucks for 4-6 hours of gameplay
These guys were a finalist at the indie awards.

http://www.zenoclash.com/

I played the demo and enjoyed it.
If I didn't have so many games to play right now I'd buy it probably. But until then, I think I'm gonna wait for a weekend deal. I love it when games are built off of Source engine!

Just beat it. I really enjoyed the game. I would highly recommend playing it on an xbox 360 controller if you have one -- it just felt right playing a puncher like this -- and I HATE aiming with a controller.

I also enjoyed the uniqueness of this game, and the art style is incredible (for some reason it reminded me of Jade Empire, with all the humanoid animals)

There wasnt a great deal of strat at all. You basically run and do a charge elbow, and attack from there. Rinse and repeat. Also, you cant drop the weapon, so when you reload, you pretty much get hit.

You find out your hermaphrodite father-mother is a 10 feet ostrich. The end.

I just beat up the fat Corwid.

It's an okay game. The English isn't poor or incorrect but man it's weird. Kicking is random. Needs more gore, if I whack an unarmored stooge with a giant bone it should evoke a spray of blood.

Back