Zen3, 5nm?

Highly doubtful because it goes against their roadmap. They are just getting the hype train of disappointment rolling.
I agree it is doubtful, and even if they managed I doubt early 5nm would clock very high so no real performance gain to be had vs enhanced 7nm.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-4000-zen-3-vermeer-desktop-cpus-tsmc-5nm-process-node-rumor/

Rumor, but would be crazy if this is true. Maybe this is why they are putting out the refresh in June b cause they have extra capacity at 7nm now?

been a rumor wccf has been posting and reposting for months now, but this is purely based on the fact that TSMC said they'll be starting volume production of 5nm+ in Q4.... which will likely be used for the iphone 12 or what ever they're up to now.. there's no way that would be zen 3 since volume production would need to start much earlier. either way i can't see TSMC dumping the amount of money they did into 7nm EUV and then says "sure, lets just skip it". if the XT chip refresh is legit, it's possible they're using the new 7nm advanced node(non EUV) for them and zen 3 being on 7nm EUV.

I would call it a plausible rumor, especially if these supposed XT chips show up.

I don't think I've ever seen a chip not launch on the proposed process in a road map (other than maybe intel with 10nm slip ups?)

Tis the way of the AMD fan base.
fan bois gonna fan boi right?! :rolleyes:
just another wtftech rumor from a rando twitter post. i doubt this has any truth to it. maybe a refreshed 4000 series, if there is one...

Last edited:
Yeh WCCF meemz

No way they can stray from 7nm EUV at this point. A sudden decision to cut to 5nm would likely result in a relatively long delay between redesign and tweaking and the fact that 5nm isn't in volume production yet afaik, not to mention a jump to yet another brand new node already would be quite unwise compared to a maturing 7nm EUV. I'm sure the vocal (very angry these days!) public would rather see higher clocks rather than a further power reduction (at the expense of clocks), as they've already pushed us all the way up to 16 cores.

I'm enjoying my 3700x so much, I'll definitely be in the market for a 12 core 4000 series if they can pull off a fairly modest IPC gain and/or clock boost... Of course the enthusiast in me wants to see a big jump, but even 5+% single core + 50% more cores (in my case) will put a big fat smile on my face.

Curious, What other chips are already or will be released soon with EUV lithography?

edit: actually I'm not even clear if zen3 is going to be EUV (5nm or 7nm whatever) or is it still DUV?

Curious, What other chips are already or will be released soon with EUV lithography?

edit: actually I'm not even clear if zen3 is going to be EUV (5nm or 7nm whatever) or is it still DUV?

As far as I understand, the roadmap has always been for 7nm EUV for the upcoming Ryzen 4000 desktop parts.

As for production, to my knowledge it's been in production since 2019, namely in SoCs (Kirin 990 5G -- that's their 4 layer EUV (TSMC N7FF+)) and went into high volume production by 2020. One interesting note is a 5 layer "TSMC N6" is listed on the wiki page for 7nm process, going into production for 2020. The naming makes it sound like they want to call it 6nm..

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HiSilicon-Kirin-990-5G-SoC-Benchmarks-and-Specs.448202.0.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_nm_process

1590713114866.png

It would certainly explain the appearance of the XT branded chips, as this would fill the void of nothing new coming out this year. And TSMC probably has it's 2020 5nm production fully booked out by Apple and Qualcomm for ARM chips. That would leave an early 2021 launch if AMD was to launch a ready 5nm ryzen chip (assuming the rumour is true, and assuming no issues with taping out 5nm). I'm more of the opinion it's still going to be 7nm.

Last edited:
Haha if this thing was 5nm I'd toss my 9900K in the nearest trash bin (aka Ebay) and grab that Ryzen ASAP. I'll probably wait till 2021-2022 or whenever their 5nm refresh is to get that unless Intel pulls a miracle out their asses by then and catches up.

Haha if this thing was 5nm I'd toss my 9900K in the nearest trash bin (aka Ebay) and grab that Ryzen ASAP. I'll probably wait till 2021-2022 or whenever their 5nm refresh is to get that unless Intel pulls a miracle out their asses by then and catches up.
You're probably safe from this rumor, I doubt this will come to be reality, but hey you just never know. This will be the last of the AM4, so I'll probably upgrade knowing the next build will be a complete everything swap. Basically max out current hardware, then wait till the ddr5, pcie5 w/e gets a good shakedown and the new shiny prices come down (I can imagine ddr5 costing more than ddr4, especially until stock levels get higher). I imagine if I upgrade at the end of this year I'll be content for 2 more years.

Maybe as a later update - but unlikely. Moving mobile and HPC to 3nm will be difficult. Maybe all chip plants can be converted to 5nm ?

I would call it a plausible rumor, especially if these supposed XT chips show up.

I thought about this. Would it mean Zen3 is 2021 and Zen2+ is Q2 to Q3 2020? Although I have not seen a Zen2+ on a roadmap even though there is an XT rumor.

I thought about this. Would it mean Zen3 is 2021 and Zen2+ is Q2 to Q3 2020? Although I have not seen a Zen2+ on a roadmap even though there is an XT rumor.

It's possible Zen3 was changed and felt the 5nm node was a better choice. Or it was far cheaper to use a slightly better process on the 7nm node for a Zen2+ and they felt it was good enough to keep Intel in a bind. Otherwise I dont see the point of the XT chips for just a short time. Keep in mind Zen+ was a bit unplanned as well and that was due to a decent gain from a tweak in the process.

Back