Zen,Zen+,Zen2 comparison @ same clocks?

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
After watching a recent Tech Deals YT video (link bellow) which compares 3 generations of Zen, I was left wanting to know how they would compare when running at the same speed say 4GHz. I know it could never be a perfect comparison as Zen2 is capable of higher spec RAM over Zen/+, but I would love to see an across the board 4GHz 3200CL14.
I can't find any links to such a test. If anyone knows of any it would be appreciated.

3rd gen is smokin
It is.
But I want to see mins/max/frame-times across games and apps to truly know the exact boost Zen2 offers. Also how would they all do at 4k with same clocks?
I guess I could extrapolate the numbers based on the video. Zen and Zen+ are extremely close at the same clocks but Zen+ can usually get 300MHz more. A 2700X has close to 3800X clocks, but I think it drops faster on auto.
If you lock them all to 4GHz, there are no boost variables to deal with. A solid speed from each would give real numbers.

Guru3d does IPC comparisons of CPUs locked at 3.5ghz for single core cinebench runs.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_3800x_review,9.html

There is a marginal difference between the 1800X and 2700X, but a much improved score with the 3800X.
10%? Would like it to be 4Ghz and with fast RAM with good timings (no idea how each system was setup). Really interested in frame times @4k between them in a gaming bench suite. I am thinking it would be surprisingly close.
Would love to pick up a Zen2 if it truly distanced itself in that scenario.

10%? Would like it to be 4Ghz and with fast RAM with good timings (no idea how each system was setup). Really interested in frame times @4k between them in a gaming bench suite. I am thinking it would be surprisingly close.
Would love to pick up a Zen2 if it truly distanced itself in that scenario.
To your original question: I would add this video as I too am curious how they would compare.

It is a Hardware Unboxed gaming comparison of the 9900ks vs 3950X when overclocking RAM speeds and lowering timings. It made a bigger difference than I expected and allowed AMD to really close in on intel's gaming performance. I'd be curious how Ryzen 1000 and 2000 and intel would compare, especially at the same frequencies as you mentioned.

I believe Zen and Zen+ were even more dependent on RAM frequency and timings for additional performance then Zen2 which has many optimizations with cache, fabric and IPC, but we can still see how important RAM is for that platform as well.

I thought a thorough clock-for-clock comparison would have been done by now :(
To be honest it's not really necessary. Every generation brought IPC increases. With Zen 2+ there's a massive difference through the whole stack of about a 15% uplift at the same clock.

Techspot is a hair away from the Verge.
Try Puget systems or Gamers Nexus.

At least those 2 outlets try to normalize their millennials.

Back