Zen & Vega & SFF…?!?

Boil

[H]ard|Gawd
So, thoughts towards same…?

Thinking Zen could provide good gaming performance & Vega may provide high power cards in a Nano-esque sized package; all this small goodness in SFF chassis builds…?

Have always gravitated towards Intel & Nvidia for PC gaming, but Zen & Vega has me wondering…

Anything discussed about Zen will just be echo chambered hype. There is nothing to wonder or discuss.

It's called Ryzen now. There was an official demo recently, 3.4 GHz, 8 core, 95W TDP, shown to perform competitively against Intel. There is a chance that AMD brings affordable 8 core to the mainstream, and that is exciting. And given that new videocards with HBM2 memory should show up next year, making the cards quite small, I think it will be exciting times for SFF builders. We just needs OEM:s making mini-itx boards for this new platform, the AM4 socket.

All in all, the coming 1-2 months should be very interesting. Perhaps we see some new mini-itx cases being shown at CES as well.

Joining the hypetrain :)

1) I wonder if we will finally see the proper APU with integrated memory like HBM. I really want to see a 125W APU with 50W quad core CPU and 75W IGP that can compete with 75W PCI-E GPU.
I dream about slim mini ITX box with proper APU that is water cooled by 240mm radiator, runs on something like HD-PLEX

2) If the test samples weren't cherry picked, then we may see i7 prices meltdown and hopefully we may see mainstream 65W quad core competitor from AMD.

It'd be nice if they were super stars, but I feel like AMD hasn't put out anything super awesome in a few generations.

A couple of the mATX motherboards are fairly small though.

Apparently AMD confirmed there will be ITX boards coming, but I don't know if any boards are floating around CES yet.

In this video Gamers Nexus states that X300 chipset "is as small as pinky nail" and dedicated to mITX boards. X300 boards will supposedly have almost everything handled directly by the CPU, so I assume X300 chipset will be some kind of chipset terminator or will handle only basic config tasks.

Additionally there's info that AM4 will launch before the end of March, but there's no precise info how much before.
I hope that AMD will surprise everyone at CES with early release.

Back