Zap! Now nothing!

mattox

n00b
Hey all,

Today I bough myself a nice 1Gig stick of ram! I was pulling all the cables out of the back of my PC when I noticed a blue zap. I was a little worried but I continued installing the ram. Once I plugged the cables in and started the PC I could smell burning... I turned it off quickly but now it will not post. I press the power button and all the fans spin but the screen is just black...

I have an Asus P5P800S and a Celeron D 3.2.

Do you think this is just a dead motherboard? Or could it be that the entire PC is stuffed?

Thanks in advance!

:eek: Seeing sparks around a PC is never good. Where did you see this blue spark? Hopefully all that happened was that your PSU crapped out, Id try that as your first means of progress. What kind of PSU do you have btw?

either buy yourself a grounding strap and always wear it when you work on your pc ..or at least grab something metal before you start touch you pc so you ground yourself out (release any built up static charge in your body) .

..looks like its time for the hardware shuffle .. meaning that your either gonna have to take your comp to a computer shop to test components or if you can get access to various hardware components to start swappen out parts until you can determine the bad egg .. as posted already , start with the psu possibly ..but it could be the mobo , or the ram ..or even cpu

where did the "blue spark" spark at?

I did make sure I touched metal before pulling the cords out, I always do.

It seemed to happen about in the middle of the MB.

Im going to take it to a store tomorrow morning to try and test a few things, I think the MB will be under warranty.

mattox said:
I did make sure I touched metal before pulling the cords out, I always do.

It seemed to happen about in the middle of the MB.

Im going to take it to a store tomorrow morning to try and test a few things, I think the MB will be under warranty.

If you saw a spark there... damn you might have killed more than just the mobo :eek:

80% of the time its the power supply. Unfortunelty testing the motherboard is probably the hardest peice to diagnose. Just go ahead and claim its bad and get an RMA replacement. Then when the replacment comes in and if it wont post, its the power supply.

Toad21 said:
80% of the time its the power supply. Unfortunelty testing the motherboard is probably the hardest peice to diagnose. Just go ahead and claim its bad and get an RMA replacement. Then when the replacment comes in and if it wont post, its the power supply.
some of us dont like to rape RMA, if you killed it, you should be human and realize its your fault, not a faulty mobo :mad:

DaCoOlNeSs said:
some of us dont like to rape RMA, if you killed it, you should be human and realize its your fault, not a faulty mobo :mad:
qft :) i hate when ppl cheatttttttttttttttttt

Toad21 said:

I would most certainly not use that same PSU for testing the new board :eek:. Incase it was the PSU that caused the system to fail as most power issues stem from a faulty/poor quality PSU. Chances are that if you did not specifically purchase your PSU that it could be a poor quality unit as they are usually the cheapest option. I would get a different PSU along with the RMA’d board. And as others have said if the failure of the board was caused by you (which in this case it doesn’t seem to be) then please do not RMA the board. This aggravates the hell out of me when some turd kills a piece of hardware and then cry’s fowl.

Back