zalman ZM80D-HP

Aris

[H]ard|Gawd
i was wondering if anyone out their has put this heatsink on the x800pro.

i found a power consumption article, and the x800pro seems to be similar in power consumption to the radeon 9800pro, which is the graphics card i have now. and im using the old zm80A-HP on it. completely passive, and it works just fine.

so do you think this heatsink will be ok on the x800pro completely passive? i think it might, but i thought i'd ask anyhow.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-vs-nv-power_9.html

I have one on a 6800GT... should be similar or hotter than your card. It works well, but I don't know if it would work totally passively. I'd say no. You need at a minimum a little air moving across it, such as from a case side fan that is directly over the heatsink. I have a 12cm fan on the side of my case (using an 80mm to 120mm adapter) that runs at a fairly low rpm and does a great job of both cooling the zalman sink, and getting some air into the case in general.

Zalman says it's not compatible with the 6800GT/Ultra, so the page is updated enough to imply that it will fit the X800 series. You should have been using the fan on your 9800Pro, so definately get it. I installed this cooler onto my friend's 9800Pro with the fan, and it's silent. Zalman says that the fan needs to be installed on 9800Pro/FX5800 and up cards, since they're considerably hotter than previous generations. Be safe and run the fan. ;)

a fan is not silent. even at low rpm's they can be heard. im big into being as quiet as possible. i only have 3 fans in my system. all 120mm. currents i have 2 on intake ina push/pull config on my radiator, and a 120mm fan for exhaust in my PSU. thats it. all running at 7volts. its very quiet, but its still not silent.

i think what im gunna do is get one of the 3rd party 7700-cu CPU heatsinks that work on socket 462's, with the 120mm fan and that will give the extra cooling to the video card needed.

so i'll still only have 3, 120's in my system, but the one on the CPU will also help cool the video card.

RickyJ said:
Zalman says it's not compatible with the 6800GT/Ultra, so the page is updated enough to imply that it will fit the X800 series. You should have been using the fan on your 9800Pro, so definately get it. I installed this cooler onto my friend's 9800Pro with the fan, and it's silent. Zalman says that the fan needs to be installed on 9800Pro/FX5800 and up cards, since they're considerably hotter than previous generations. Be safe and run the fan. ;)
passive here and still temps under 50C; 33C idle

I actually have a modded ZM80D-HP running on my 6800U completely passive, overclocked, still only reaches 71dgC maxed out

It's only not compatible with the 6800GT because the mounting holes on it are too small for the screws they provide. I drilled my holes on my card for a perfect fit. (yes, I actually enlarged the holes on a $400 card. very scary.)

It works exactly as designed, but the two plates would be almost too hot to touch without some kind of fan blowing across them. Even just a big slow 12cm fan at 1500rpm would do it, probably even if it was sealed in the case. Maybe even their own fan kit. You could put a speed adjustement on it and turn it all the way down. It's just got to stir the air around the sink. I don't think a nearby CPU fan is going to be adequate. I'm not saying it definately won't work, but I'm giving it a better than 60% chance no. It'll work 100% fine until you start playing a game like Doom3, then once it runs a while and gets hot enough to soak both of those huge heatsinks, you'll start getting artifacts and lockups. Even with a big slow fan it's still far quieter than a normal high speed video card fan. Much more pleasant.

EDIT - I also just noticed you said X800pro and not X800XT (heh, sorry) yes I expect that card would be a bit cooler (much like the guy above with the 6800). A far better chance of getting away with it compared to my GT.

Whatever you decide, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Oh, and I might be willing to sell my ZM80D, I'm getting a watercooling setup for the 6800GT next week. Make me a reasonable offer in a private message if you want it. ALL parts provided and the origianl box. I even lapped the main heatsink. When used with a fan i'm getting between 5-9C better than stock, even while overclocked.

Back