Zalman VF3000 GPU Cooler

camui

Weaksauce
I just installed the Zalman GPU cooler to my GTX480 and I know I installed the HS to my card perfectly, but for some reason, when I turn on my computer and get to the Windows logo screen, I am seeing major video artifacts. I do have an additional GTX 480 so I can use my computer, but it would be nice to nail down what the problem could be. Any suggestions? I do have the GPU connected to the fan controller and motherboard as recommended.

Did you accidentally get any thermal paste on any of the components? There's not a lot of room for error installing that thing, especially if you used a conductive or capacitive thermal paste. I was super-careful when I installed mine, and I still got some paste on some of the small chips. I used MX-4, so it didn't cause any problems (plus I cleaned it with alcohol) but I can see that possibly causing issues.

It probably was from getting the thermal paste on part of the board, especially where the RAM chips are. The paste the cooler comes with didn't come out very well. I guess I am SOL or there might be something I can do about it.

It's a long shot, but you can clean the card off real REAL good, then bake it in an oven. I've had success with this. I saw just clean it up REAL good, and try again.

It's a long shot, but you can clean the card off real REAL good, then bake it in an oven. I've had success with this. I saw just clean it up REAL good, and try again.

OK thanks. I'll give it a shot.

I don't know about the oven part, but scrubbing it with a Q-tip soaked in alcohol might be enough to get any residue off and get it working again.

Sorry for bumping this, but this is verbatim what I'm experiencing. I also have a VF3000F on a MSI 480, which worked great for a solid week of Skyrim. (I went from 90c with stock cooling to 59c with the VF3000F). Then out of nowhere while in game I experienced artifacts and then my machine rebooted. Upon reboot I had more artifacts at the BIOS and then I'd bluescreen in Windows. Following the advice posted above, I cleaned off everything and then I even baked my card in the oven as I already had everything off it anyhow. No idea what fixed it but it worked for another couple of days until the artifacts came back. I cleaned off the Arctic Silver 5 I had used on everything expect the actual GPU and replaced with Arctic Silver Ceramique, so I'm certain nothing is making contact. My card also looks a bit warped from the cooler, so I'm starting to think maybe I'm going to need to try the oven trick again and pray any possible broken connections are fixed.

So any ideas? Whatever I did before got it working again, so I don't think my card is completely hopeless. I'm thinking of ways of getting it "bent" back into shape, maybe even throwing the stock heatsink back on just to see if maybe it'll pull everything back into place, and then maybe trying the oven trick.

EDIT2

Yep, it's solely the results of the oven trick that got my card working. Tried it again after I straightened the card out a bit, and the card worked for another 4 hours before the artifacts returned.
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038165859&postcount=1302

I'm done messing with it, card is dead for the most part.

Last edited:
Back