Zalman passive northbridge cooler

defaultluser

[H]F Junkie
I just got my new Asus A8N5X up and running, and boy is that northbridge fan loud!

I realize that Nvidia's single-chip solution runs hot, so is the Zalman beefy enough to handle it?

I'm pretty sure the Zalman could cool Nforce4 just fine...however replacing the chipset coolers of nforce3/4 boards is a real PITA because usually the vid card or something ends up hanging over the cooler so you can't put anything taller than the stock one. But it looks like maybe that particular board has the chipset shifted down enough that it's possible to put a taller one on there.

and I agree, nforce4 coolers are annoyingly loud...my old DFI NF4 SLI-DR had the most obnoxious little fan ever.

Yeah, I've read some of the feedback on Newegg, some folks have installed it on this board, so I'll give it a go.

Other than that annoying fan, the case is silent. The CPU heatsink + Q-fan is silent, and the powersupply and rear exhaust (this is a Sonata 2 with stock PS) are virtually silent.

I'll add a front fan to draw air over the heatsink, ordered a Scythe 800 RPM fan. Also picked up a vf900 for my 7900 GT, which should arrive soon.

Back